Clear Corners: Colored bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Corners: Colored bulbs

hey guys... this is what i'm looking for... i have a set of clear corners on my '98 xlt. right now i have the factory bulbs(amber) in them w/ a light coat of silver hi-temp paint. they are completely clear. i want to buy some bulbs that are already clear... but are green when they light up, so i can keep my clear look during the day. any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get green bulbs and paint them silver?? Or what about green LEDs?

Kinda off topic but also kinda not. With clear corners, do the blinker bulbs have to be amber to be legal?

I think it depends on the State. But probably. I kept my stock bulbs to keep the heat off my ass.

on my accord, i cleared out the turn signals and put in red bulbs. they look great and i think b/c it's not so much of a drastic change from orange that cop's don't bother me. green, blue, etc., you might have trouble getting away with that. it would look cool though :D

APC makes some blubs called Titan or Titanium that are silver when dormant and then turn color when they light up. I have some amber ones in my clears. You can get other colors besides amber though.
I bought some from streetbeatonline.com

all you gotta do is get el-cheapo green bulbs and use the same high temp silver paint. a very light "mist" coat will do the trick, just like on the amber bulbs.

where can i get some cheap green 3157 bulbs... i got the green 194's at my local autozone... having a time finding green 3157's though

if you want t oget rid of the color in your clears you have 2 main options..

the 1st option would be to use some APC titan bulbs

www.sounddomain.com has them under their store.

the 3157 titan bulbs come with a "titanium" coating over em so they're chrome-ish when not in use and they're normal when lit.

I've heard of doing this yourself yea but I dunno how long such lasts.

your 2nd option would be something like www.jamstrait.com using their 3157 LED amber turns.. the only down side being they're kinda pricey and you would need a heavy duty flasher for them to work w/o going rice blinker (you know.. instead of blink blink blink you see bliliblibliblibliblibliblibliblibli)

Either way you will get rid of the color in the corners..

personally if I had the extra bux to throw in I'd do the LED option.. LEDs last longer than incandescents anyway.. run cooler and are less of a strain on your electrical system (as if a turen signal is anyway right) another reason is cos the titan bulbs do not come (that I have seen) in 194.. so you have that annoying little corner light that would be a butt...

hope that helps

Back