"Platinum" bulbs for clear corners... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Platinum" bulbs for clear corners...

I've done a search looking for info I need but couldn't find what I'm looking for.
Now onto what I'm looking for: I have clear corners installed on my '93..... now since the stock ones were clear and to stay street legal, the turn signal and parking lamp[3157 & 194] must light up an amber color. The thing is though, when they aren't lit up during the day, I get that hideous gold/brown color from the corners.
Now I've heard that bulbs are available that are a silver/gray color when 'dormant' and then when lit up, they turn amber.
Anybody heard of these or use 'em? Anybody know where I could get some if they do exist?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw some site on the inernet that sells silver colored bulbs that light up amber, but I don't remember the address. I also found this. http://www.eautoworks.com/ORD-Auto~Styling-Spray~on~Lamp~Cover~Paint-No-6678-none.cfm I'm sure there are other sites too. You might also check ebay. Also, I saw a thread in here somewhere that says you can spray a very fine coat of silver paint on the bulb so you don't get that amber reflection, but it will still light up amber.

bulb paint....

.... Thanks for your help... although I've heard horror stories about bulbs exploding after being painted..?

Re: bulb paint....

Originally posted by brokenman
.... Thanks for your help... although I've heard horror stories about bulbs exploding after being painted..?

Not if you use high temp silver paint like i did.
If you do spray use a very thin coat! its almost not even a coat.

Get a stick, place stick in ground, tape bulb on stick, spray 3-5 feet away. You want to more or less mist it with silver spray. You should still see some amber spots.

I like the way the Orange/Amber bulbs look in my clear corners. It is like a hint but still clear corners.

DSC00039.jpg

Plus I this gives me an excuse to post this cute picture again. Awwwweeeeaaaaa

thanks guys

thanks for helping me out....
Bill.... or anyone else who knows, the 'Chromax' bulbs that are well, chrome, they light up blue? Artic Blue I think it was? and does anyone have experience with the LED bulbs with clear corners?

thanks Blackmagic, that was EXTREMELY informative.... LEDs suck.. lol. Anyways, Streetbeat is about a half-hour drive for me, I'm thinking I'll head up there for some Titaniums or maybe go back Bonspeed for 'em. Thanks again... very sharp truck by the way.

brokenman First of all thanks for the compliment!

You are that close to the actual Street Beat shop?!? WOW! I wish I was that close to any shop like that. I have bought from them on line many times and they do seem to take care of you. I have always enjoyed my purchase from there and good prices.

I have thought about getting the Titanium bulbs. I just hate to pay shipping on $6.00 in bulbs. So that is the only bulb I have not been able to test. Let me know what you think of them!

yeah no problem

Blackmagic.....
I'll be getting those 'Titanium' ones after Christmas, got to pay my tuition off and Christmas presents these next couple weeks. Anyways, I'll have those lights in early January... I'll get some pics on the net, too.
Yeah, I'm close to the Bonspeed shop too but they seem a little weird to me. LOL. And anything that's not for a Chevy has to be 'special ordered.'
Thanks again.

Bonspeed

It's another custom shop out here in Mesa, Arizona. I originally found them when looking for a local car dealership's custom shop because they were an approved Gibson exhaust dealer. From talking to the guys up there, it's a 'concept' shop from the people who make Bonspeed rims and watches.
Anyways, they did my Trenz billet grille for me and proceeded to do a rather bad job. I ended up having to re-install the grille myself, would have saved money if I would have done that from the beginning. The salesguy told me he could have an intake for me the next morning until he realized Airraid didn't make one for mine, all in all not a very knowledgable guy.
Now I only buy parts there, don't get anything installed.
Meanwhile, Street Beat comes reccomended by a friend of mine who knows some guys up there and trusts them for stuff on his Dakota R/T.

yea, i sprayed my lights, tehy still don't look superfly tho. i mean, i want those ones that look silver dormant. but yea, make SURE its high-temp because i didn't the first time and they started smoking :rolleyes:

Back