• Register Today It's free!

Clearcornering stock lights?

Ford_Power

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My friend has the idea that its possible to take off stock lights on many cars (including my explorer) and to heat the red part and you should be able to peel off a thin piece of plastic that is the red coating. this sounds dangerous and messy so instead of clearcornering my own i'm thinking about just buying some clearcorners. anyone heard anything about how to clearcorner stock lights? is my friend insane or is this an actual way to do them yourself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been talked about around here before. The common concensus is that its very hard to do. The glue that holds the lense together is some tough stuff. Even had someone try to put the lens in the oven to soften it...it melted the lens first. It's far easier to buy the clear corners than to make your own.

yeah, the whole "make your own clearcorners" idea sounded too good to be true. Your explorer is identical to mine except mine is 4WD. same color and type and year and everything. thanks for the input and nice truck.

Thanks alot. You obviously have good taste in Explorers. ;) I sure wish mine was 4wd though. Just can't get too far with an open diff 2wd.

my friend actually pulled it off in his Impereza, but thats obviously different than an X. He heated a knife( i think i cant remember) till it was extremely ho and he basically shaved the colored lens off. just my 2 cents goodluck

p.s. atleast they make clears for your truck :fire:

i got a good deal on clears today -$30 on ebay. plus the guy lives next to me, so i couldnt go wrong.

Yeah I'd just buy some clear corners. I paid like $60 for mine, they're so cheap nowadays.

i've read something similar to this before. they recommended using a hair dryer to heat up the edges of the lens to soften the adhesive.

it would definately be better to just buy clear corners.

if you break one trying to modify it, you'll be stuck spending cash anyway.

Just to give my little peice of wisdom...DO NOT HEAT THEM UP...i put mine in the oven, they did not melt, them more or less warped just enough to where they could not be put back together. I did get them apart and it is a lot harder to get them back together with the glue and all...not even worth the trouble...

Just my advice...

Patrick

i'v got a quick question. has anybody tried to see if the reflector in the front corner can be broken out very easily? i want to get another one from the junk yard and try it on that. if i do get a chance then i will post what i find, but if somebody can do it first post it please.

it looks like you might be able to break it and pull it (the broken pieces) out through the hole for the bulb to go through.

if it does work take would be some cheap and stock clear front corners.

I tried that. I read somewhere on here about someone who did it so I figured I would try. Well to make a long story short, I still have orange pieces that I couldnt quite break off. It looks like crap but I am going to buy some clears soon. The angle makes it next to impossible to break the whole orance reflector. If you try it then good luck!

ok i'll try it. but i'v got to get some time so i can go to a junk yard and get another one. if it turns out good then i will let ya'll know.

Find Clears at...

Here is a link for cheap front clear corners...you cant beat em for 37.95...

Patrick

Dead Link Removed

Back