Click click click, starter or battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Click click click, starter or battery?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
When its really cold out our '02 with just click for the first two key turns and then start on the third try. Its got 110,000 or so on it with that I am assuming is the original battery.

Do you think its the battery or the starter?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely it's the battery. However, you must test to be sure.

Good luck ....

Slap a multimeter on the battery.. If its below 12 volts, then yes the battery.. Another thing to check for is resistance on the battery cables.

Clean off the battery terminals as well. I have to clean mine off about twice a year because my aftermarket terminals like to corrode on the bottom where you can't see it.

My 93 has a start problem whereas it yields a loud "CLANK" like sound, and then all goes dead (lights/power). It never seems to get started. I only recieve power again upon re-adjusting the positive cable, and like magic power again! Upon trying to start, "clank" dead again!!! I have replaced the battery and the alternator. It will start with a jump start almost immediately, but as soon as the cables are removed she cuts right off:mad:! Also I have a consistent red battery light symbol that is lit up on my lower dashboard, however, the voltmeter reads normal. I checked all of my ground/starter connections. I have the original cables, whereas the wiring is fused into each post. Maybe I could cut/strip the cable/wires and reconnect to a clamp style top post terminal? I never get the typical clicking sounds, as though it maybe a solenoid or dead battery or something, just one heavy "clanking" sound and all goes dead. What is missing here and or is not connected?? What say you?:)
Clean off the battery terminals as well. I have to clean mine off about twice a year because my aftermarket terminals like to corrode on the bottom where you can't see it.

My 93 has a start problem whereas it yields a loud "CLANK" like sound, and then all goes dead (lights/power). It never seems to get started. I only recieve power again upon re-adjusting the positive cable, and like magic power again! Upon trying to start, "clank" dead again!!! I have replaced the battery and the alternator. It will start with a jump start almost immediately, but as soon as the cables are removed she cuts right off:mad:! Also I have a consistent red battery light symbol that is lit up on my lower dashboard, however, the voltmeter reads normal. I checked all of my ground/starter connections. I have the original cables, whereas the wiring is fused into each post. Maybe I could cut/strip the cable/wires and reconnect to a clamp style top post terminal? I never get the typical clicking sounds, as though it maybe a solenoid or dead battery or something, just one heavy "clanking" sound and all goes dead. What is missing here and or is not connected?? What say you?:)

You should really start your own thread for this, but I would think that you have a problem with your alternator, or charging system. Maybe the new alt wasn't installed properly?

clean the terminals and make sure their tight with a good connection.

"I only recieve power again upon re-adjusting the positive cable, and like magic power again"

that means your not getting a solid connection. just make sure their tight and clean and you should be good. ive had this problem with a few vehicles

Back