Click, Click, Click...new starter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Click, Click, Click...new starter?

NJAZ4.0XL

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
Went to turn over the Explorer this morning and all I got was click, click, click. The battery had plenty of juice as everything worked in the accessory position. Would this be a bad starter? If so, is it difficult to replace on a 91?

Thanks,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible that it's the starter, but it's also possible that it's a weak battery, the battery cable from the battery to the starter, or a loose connection. The older ones are know to have internal corrosion problems with the cables. If you have access to a multimeter, it's easy to test. Just check for resistance from the battery down to the starter. If it's more than a couple of ohms (say, more than 20 ohms), it's a bad cable.

First thing I'd do is check the connections to the battery and starter to make absolutely sure the connections are good. Then check the voltage from the battery. It's possible you have enough juice to run accessories, but not to start

Changing a starter isn't difficult. Just takes a socket set. If I remember correctly, the X has 3 bolts holding the starter on and 2 wires. You should be able to do it by putting the driver's side up on a ramp or jackstands. If you end up changing out your starter, make sure you disconnect the cable from the battery first so you don't short something out.

I replaced the original cables about 2 months ago, so I'm betting that their not the problem, unless a connection to the starter has come loose.

Anyone know how much a starter goes for?

How cheap can you get

On occasion, I would try to start my 97 Explorer and it would just click. I knew it was something that would never strand me because you can just jumper the two big lugs of the solenoid on the fender. I put off the repair till it took about six turns of the key to start it. I've always had a curiosity for how things fail so I removed the solenoid and CAREFULLY drilled out the four base rivets. This is a plastic that cracks easily. Inside one lead of the coil is welded to the backplate and the other is soldered to a wire that goes to the small screw connection on top. I cut this top screw wire and removed the coil assembly. When the copper contacts were exposed, the were coated with this light powder blue coating. I've never seen a coating like this. It was almost iridescent. Scraped the contacts with a small chisel and sandpaper till they were bright. The copper contacts are heavy and showed almost no wear. Reassembled the solenoid, soldered the wire, and secured the backplate with four pop rivets. Maybe I saved $16. Just a lot of fun to see what you can fix.

Jumper those two luggs first to see if it cranks. Another problem could be corrosion on the push on connector on the starter.

I had to replace my starter back in mid-January. I really didn't have much warning when it failed, except my X had been sitting parked for about 2 weeks and when I tried to start it, the engine BARELY turned over enough to start. Thought it was a bad battery/cables, but some tests with my voltmeter showed me that wasn't the case. The next day it wouldn't start at all, so I took the starter off and had it tested at Advanced Auto Parts....it wouldn't even turn over on the testing bench.....so I got a new one....think it was about $120 or maybe a bit less.

yup, like 120 at autozone AFTER core charge. its like 160 before the core charge. as far as difficulty? if you have 10 minutes a socket set, you can do it. it was seriously easier than an oil change.

Before you replace the starter make sure you have a good starter relay (on the fender) If your vehicle has a relay they seem to go bad more often than starters.

If that is the problem go with a motorcraft replacement and not aftermarket.

Back