• Register Today It's free!

Clickety-Click

KaOs_iWo

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
A strange noise has recently started coming from my front end (I think). It's only really noticable at lower speeds. It almost sounds like a CV joint but turning or 4x4 doesnt seem to make it better or worse. anyone have any ideas??? its getting louder, and my wife is scared :p.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same noise is it a luka luka sound. does it start right away or after alittle bit of driving?? For me I thought it was the 4x4 but it was a brake rotor and a u joint. Mainly the u joint. Sorry I ment U

it takes a little while to start up

cv joint? the 91-94s used actual u joints, not a cv style

Yeah your U-joints are likely shot.

ball joints, u-joints, or bearings.... When were they last changed?

He said it makes noise whether in 4WD or not.
It should be silent when the Axle isn't spinning if it were the 'U' joint.

Tony H said:
He said it makes noise whether in 4WD or not.
It should be silent when the Axle isn't spinning if it were the 'U' joint.

Yes and no.. Even though the axle is not rotating the stub shaft passes through the steering knuckle. Therefore turning or bumpy roads would articulate the u-joint and possible make noise. That being said if the vehicle is driven on a straight road and the noise occurs then it is unlikely u-joints are the problem.

How about your hubs? Do you have auto or manual hubs? If an autohub is brocken or has too much grease (hydrolocked) then it can make a clicking and/or buzzing sound as the hub keeps trying to lock. My auto hubs made this clicking/buzzing noise, which went away instantly as soon as I engage 4x4 and the hubs locked. I cleaned the hubs and haven't had any problems since.

It has the auto hubs, and every once in a while it will buzz... but its not that, and it seems to quiet up when the brakes are applied.

I have the identical prob makes the noise whether turning or in a straight line and again fades as you apply the brakes havent tried the running in 4w4 yet although did engage 4wd low and there was a loud clunk

KaOs_iWo said:
It has the auto hubs, and every once in a while it will buzz... but its not that, and it seems to quiet up when the brakes are applied.

When the noise occurs is it constant or just intermittent? Obviously if you apply the brakes and the noise changes then you need to start looking at the problem there..

Try turning up your radio. Usually works for me :)

Hahaha thats exactly what the wife does... maybe il tear the front wheels off again and take a look (again). thanks for your help guys.

Back