• Register Today It's free!

clicking noise from engine

OffRoadXplora

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Sport
My 91 Ford EX Sport that i have had about 6 months now is making this clicking noise in the engine somewhere. I cant figure out what it is and it bugs the hell outta me. I could probably figure it out myself but i cant pinpoint where in the engine the sound is coming from and i am not sure what exactly it could be. I aint gonna lie to ya, not the smartest person when it comes to engines...any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a regular, constant ticking? My guess would be valve tap, caused by sticking or worn valve lifters. I think mine has this same problem. The truck just turned 180,000 miles. How many miles on yours? This seems to be a common noise on older OHV Explorers.

The official fix in the explorer tips calls for pulling the heads to replace valve lifters and the rocker arms. That's beyond my ability.

Bob

it is most likely in the valvetrain area. Take a looong extension hoild it on the valve cove and put your ear on the other end to listen to the engine . You can hear the vibration thru the extension or tickin noise. Check both sides

Bwana Bob said:
Is it a regular, constant ticking? My guess would be valve tap, caused by sticking or worn valve lifters. I think mine has this same problem. The truck just turned 180,000 miles. How many miles on yours? This seems to be a common noise on older OHV Explorers.

The official fix in the explorer tips calls for pulling the heads to replace valve lifters and the rocker arms. That's beyond my ability.

Bob

i only have about 68,000-69,000 miles on there. And it is a constant clicking. When at idle the sound is the same but when i accelorate the clicking noise speeds up. Does that help identify the prob any?

How's your oil level? Even on lower mileage engines, you can get rocker tap if your oil level is too low...

sounds like a collapsed lifter maybe 4.0 engines are known for that if it is i wouldnt worry about it drive it till it heaves and chances ar it wont . my 91 eddie bauer has 268k on it and it taps loudly but it runs like hell when alot of them collapse they still run pretty good too.

Back