Clicking noise on acceleration, not lifter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise on acceleration, not lifter

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
Everytime I accelerate theres a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine bay while driving, when put in neutral it doesn't make any noise 96 5.0 rwd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust manifold leak I'd assume. Is it louder when cold?

I know you said it's rwd but If 4wd check the driver side cv shaft boot and see if the boot is not torn. The CV joint will make a clicking noise when going bad hot or cold. More pronounced when turning. Try turning the steering left or right and move forward slow and see if the clicking is there. If not 4wd I would check what boominXplorer said. Manifold could be cracked large enough that it won't close up when hot.

Its def not 4 wheel drive, I'm going to be adding it tho because it is a Georgia vehicle and in amazing condition

allright the 5.0 trucks are RWD or AWD
To turn a RWD truck into a 4x4 you will have to replace the transmission

Look at the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. Missing any bolts? The front ones?
Look for exhaust leak around the exhaust manifold, black soot will be present.
Often the exhaust manifolds will come apart or lose a gasket
The 96 exhaust manifolds are welded together like patch work from the factory, and they have been known to develop leaks

Let us know what you find

Back