• Register Today It's free!

Clicking rattle ?

Ashley31

Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 SOHC Explorer
hi all very recently I’ve noticed what I can only describe as a click/rattle coming from bottom of the engine sounds like it’s coming from propshaft tbh, sounds like if you there a piece of metal in a tin and shuck it goes away when it’s in park or neutral only when I’m drive any idea ? She does have a slight leak at bottom of box-propshaft too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe just a loose heat shield on the exhaust is rattling? I had to secure mine by tying it down with wire around a decade ago on my '98. Plain old 14ga solid core copper wire has lasted at least as long as the factory heat shield welds did.

Then again my concern about catching brush on fire from the exhaust, or expectation that those small thin things would protect the exhaust from rocks is low. In other words if I'd torn them off instead of strapping them down, I wouldn't have missed them but strapping them down was so easy to do and free with a scrap of wire I already had.

Worth trying that thanks will have a look over the weekend

^ maybe, but
it goes away when it’s in park or neutral only when I’m drive

Seems like most people had reported the timing chain rattle on cold startup, idling.

Back