Clicking/tapping noise, more questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking/tapping noise, more questions

sbrawner2

Reaction score
On my 1995 4.0 XLT with 110K miles, I have a tapping noise, it sounds like it could be one of the following things (as far as I know):

1. Loose rocker/valve needing adjustment
2. noisy, bad injector
3. leaking intake manifold

The engine isn't using any oil or coolant as far as I can tell. The mileage is so/so, but I drive kind of fast, so it's about 280-300miles/tank. The noise is most noticeable when idling, and it also sounds and feels like one of the cylinders has low compression, as it shakes a bit and you can tell at the exhaust there is a noticeable lope in the exhaust flow.

Has anyone ever had this problem, and how was it resolved? Thanks again in advance!!

Scott
95 XLT 'prerunner'
31x10.50 BFGs (RULE!)

Scott, I dont know if this will help. I have a '97 xlt w/ 4.0 sohc. I was also having a noise that sounds like yours. It was loud at start up but would slowly get quieter. This was driving me nuts. After checking everything known to man, I found that the chain tensioner for the counter balance shaft was broken and missing,also the tensioner for the chain tothe driver side camshaft was also broken. This truck has only 70,000 mi.. I have worked on many engines and I have never seen so cheap an item. Replacement of thease items is not for the faint of heart. I hope this helps , Good Luck.
Carl

I have the OHV 4.0 in my 95, not the OHC motor, which is more powerful, from what I've heard.

Back