Closing the hood... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Closing the hood...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Ford Explorer Hood wont Click Shut

Hi guys, I just bought my 2014 Explorer a few weeks ago. My dads truck wasn't starting this afternoon, so I helped him out with a jump. After I was done, I shut the hood and pressed down to snap it into its seam, and for some reason it will not lock shut, it is completely down, and latched onto the lever so it wont fly up when I'm driving, but there is some slack where it still moves a little up and down, any suggestions???

Hi guys, I just bought my 2014 Explorer a few weeks ago. My dads truck wasn't starting this afternoon, so I helped him out with a jump. After I was done, I shut the hood and pressed down to snap it into its seam, and for some reason it will not lock shut, it is completely down, and latched onto the lever so it wont fly up when I'm driving, but there is some slack where it still moves a little up and down, any suggestions???

Have you tried adjusting the rubber hood stoppers? They thread in and out...

where exactly are the hood stoppers? I think it has something to do with the metal piece behind the latch where its supposed to lock into...

where exactly are the hood stoppers? I think it has something to do with the metal piece behind the latch where its supposed to lock into...
Welcome to the Forum Mikeshef44.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one on the same issue.
The hood on the Explorer will not just 'click and lock' You have to let it drop from at least a foot or more. There are no adjustment necessary, just a little 'brute force'.

Peter

wow!
I would not be pushing on this hood, it feels like it will snap like a
poptart.
Drop it from a foot or so and it will close every time.

Hood issues

Does anyone else have this problem where when they want to close the hood, it takes an abnormal amount of force to shut it? It taskes me several attempts to close my hood and i end up having to slam it down a lot harder than id like to.

Yes I do have the problem described with my 2011 Ex. What I found is on the latch if I pull the closest piece towards me the hood closes fine. I had it into a ford shop one day and they did not close it properly and on my way home on the interstate, I noticed the hood was vibrating alot. I pulled over and got it closed. However there is a real issue becuase I have never owned a vehicle where I even had to think about latching the hood properly. This one requires a bit of careful touch with the latching mechanism. I believe there is a problem with the latching system and I will show it to Ford on my next oil change.

Yes I do have the problem described with my 2011 Ex. What I found is on the latch if I pull the closest piece towards me the hood closes fine. I had it into a ford shop one day and they did not close it properly and on my way home on the interstate, I noticed the hood was vibrating alot. I pulled over and got it closed. However there is a real issue becuase I have never owned a vehicle where I even had to think about latching the hood properly. This one requires a bit of careful touch with the latching mechanism. I believe there is a problem with the latching system and I will show it to Ford on my next oil change.
As many have mentioned, just let it drop from a foot or more. That is the way I close mine. Tried it the 'normal' way when I first got it then discovered that doesn't work.

Peter

Back