Closing the hood...

papel_ace

Reaction score
City, State
Ponce, PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Base Model
Closing the hood

Hi, I've noticed the hood of the new 2011 explorer is a kind of soft. Which is the best way to close the hood?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I've noticed the hood of the new 2011 explorer is a kind of soft. Which is the best way to close the hood?
After having it open a few times, I have found the best way to close it is to slam it down. It is the only way I have been able to get it close.
BTW, Welcome to the forum.:wavey:

may be it's made of aluminum in order to reduce overall weight?

On mine, I just let the weight of the hood slam shut. It seams to do the trick.

Yes, it is aluminum, courtesy Alan Mulally's diet plan for the Explorer.

Drop it from about 18" just like my Mustang.

Does anyone else have this problem where when they want to close the hood, it takes an abnormal amount of force to shut it? It taskes me several attempts to close my hood and i end up having to slam it down a lot harder than id like to.

don't slam it... about 12-18 inches, just drop it and let it's weight take care of it. the hood is aluminum... i think if you keep pushing on it, you may end up giving it a blemish.

Does anyone else have this problem where when they want to close the hood, it takes an abnormal amount of force to shut it? It taskes me several attempts to close my hood and i end up having to slam it down a lot harder than id like to.

What worked for me was to lower it until it reached the first latch. Once latched there, I lifted it up as far as it would let me (an inch or two). Then I shut it it with a good push from there. It would not latch all the way any other way that I tried. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but not sure how to better explain.

don't slam it... about 12-18 inches, just drop it and let it's weight take care of it. the hood is aluminum... i think if you keep pushing on it, you may end up giving it a blemish.
Works every time. :thumbsup:

So...why have you all needed to open the hood so often?

I had mine open one time, to look.

uhhhh cause your supposed to check your oil level every time you put gas in the car? Also good practice to check battery terminals, and fluid levels while you have it open.

i like to look at the engine every day :D

actually just a few times... when i first got it... gotta know where the latch is, get a general idea where everything is. opened when i did my first detail of the X and like to get above the grill (i see grime likes to build up at the weatherstripping. opened it when doing an oil change.

uhhhh cause your supposed to check your oil level every time you put gas in the car? Also good practice to check battery terminals, and fluid levels while you have it open.

Not a chance I am doing that. If I wanted to work on a car and do preventative maintenance I wouldn't drive a new car every couple years.

I realize that makes me sound like a dick, but I see no need to check oil level on a car with almost no miles on it. If something happens, I get a loaner and the warranty covers it. I spent many years working on cars out of necessity and for fun. I'm done with doing it out of necessity.

I can see on a good detailing though.

If something happens, I get a loaner and the warranty covers it. I spent many years working on cars out of necessity and for fun. I'm done with doing it out of necessity.

So rather than take 5 seconds to lift the dip stick, and look at the level you'd rather put your car in the shop for a couple of weeks for engine replacement cause you didn't follow the manual when it says you must check your engine oil, tire pressure, lights, and washer fluid regularly.

but I see no need to check oil level on a car with almost no miles on it.

I had a 350z, at 2200 miles I noticed the dip stick registered no oil on it. Turns out the engine was bad off the lot. Had I not noticed I would have been stranded somewhere on the side of the road (or worse canyon where i typically liked to push the car).

There's no excuse for not doing routine checks on the car before driving it.

There's no excuse for not doing routine checks on the car before driving it.

Being lazy is a perfectly valid excuse in my opinion ;)

Before a trip I can see, but where I drive I would never get stranded. I'd simply lock the keys in the car and let roadside get it. The dealer I use gets loaners from Enterprise so I could have a car brought to me pretty quickly if I didn't have a ride available faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back