clunk noise when hitting bumps? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clunk noise when hitting bumps?

quote: Please Explain as I am confused.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Metallic2001
btw autozone bushings are exactly the same as any bushing u are going to get from ford or any other place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The polyurethane bushings that you would purchase for $20 at autozone are the same ones that you are going to pay $40 and up for at a Ford dealership or at a garage (ex. Firestone, which wanted me to pay $60 for theirs)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, what Metallic said is pretty accurate in that all generic poly bushings are pretty much the same. But...

...Energy Suspension bushings (and possibly Daystars as well) are different (better) than generic polys you would get from AutoZone. The ES bushings are grease-impregnated; generic polys from AutoZone are not.

Ford, as far as I know, doesn't even make or offer polyurethane bushings. Only rubber.

Well, just ordered new Ploy bushings from Explorer Express along with Poly sway bar bushings. I hope this stops the clunk. I'll be replacing poly bushings that were installed about 2-3 years ago, so at least I won't have to deal with the rivets.

I guess it will be a simple bolt on deal.

RA Bushings

The bushings I just bought from Ford are Poly. Well the front ones are Poly and the rear ones are rubber. The parts guy informed me that Ford has gone to a really good Poly that they are now using. I don't know if they are grease impregnated, and I don't know if he was feeding me a line of bull either, but they are definitley Poly.

Cur

Re: RA Bushings

Originally posted by Curt
The bushings I just bought from Ford are Poly. Well the front ones are Poly and the rear ones are rubber. The parts guy informed me that Ford has gone to a really good Poly that they are now using. I don't know if they are grease impregnated, and I don't know if he was feeding me a line of bull either, but they are definitley Poly.

Cur

Really? That's good that Ford now offers polys. It's about time, heck Ford quit making the TTB years ago now!

Maybe this is tacit acknowledgement of Ford finally owning up to the engineering problem with the passenger side radius arm bushing being next to the exhaust pipe.

Originally posted by Metallic2001
I did mine on my 94 a few months ago and i bought the parts at autozone for $20 (most places charge $60 for the bushings) I took a grinder and cut the ends of the rivets off and took a chisel and knocked the rivet out. Put the new bushings in a replaced them with 4 GRADE 8 bolts (2 on each side) about 1 1/4" long and 7/16" in diameter in size with 14 threads. I didnt have a manual or anything..it was my first time doing it...also saved me $280 :D

Incase anyone else wants to know how to save $280

$280 plus you buy the bushings and bolts??.... maybe time to try another shop!! ...Mine was $194 with the metal reinforced moog bushing kit, included just drop it off and pick it up later in the eve.

The guy at the shop I went to told me the HD bolts came with the the metal sleeved Moog bushing kit.
Are the autozone kits like that as well ?

"D"

When installing new Moog Problem Solver Bushings, discovered that my Radius arm was shot. The bushing bolt threads were striped and wouldn't allow the bushing to be tightened up all the way on the drivers side. Ordered a new radius arm, which should be in Monday, I think this will take care of all my problem, I hope.

Finally got mine done..just picked up the truck 5 minutes ago...

had my own moog kit...price came to 260

that was for installing the bushings, and a 4wheel alignment...not bad..

***** nice now!!!!

Finally got mine done..just picked up the truck 5 minutes ago...

had my own moog kit...price came to 260

that was for installing the bushings, and a 4wheel alignment...not bad..

***** nice now!!!!

That sounds fair to me. they charge 60 for allignment at this place as well

I gotta do the allignment soon too. but have a couple of things to install first.. outer tie rod is just a little sloppy and I have a set of those EE sway bars to put on as well.. when I get that done I'll have them point the wheels in the same direction.... for now it doesn't pull or anything so I'm just holding out

it is really nice not hearing all that racket going over the bumps.

"D"

Back