Hard steering shake when hitting bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard steering shake when hitting bumps

ylecoyote

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer
First I should say hello and thanks for welcoming me to your site. I just bought a 02 explorer with broken timing chains. I replaced the chains (lucky me I puled the heads and no bent valves) and reinstalled the engine it runs great. However when I drive it and hit bumps ( large pot holes) the steering wheel shakes very bad. I checked the suspension and replaced the left inner and outer tie rods but thats all that was loose. I know the shifter has play and I will have to replace the linkage. Has anyone had this problem and could it be from the steering column itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome ylecoyote

There is no vibration while driving at any speed on the highway. I only have the shake when I hit bumps. Oh and thanks for welcoming here.

i have this same concern, everythings fine uppers,lowers all bushings.... could it be the front shocks??? mines a 01 sport 2d

I have the same problem. I found that I have a little play in my steering gear box.

I have a 2002 sport trac and have the same problem. Everything is fine until I hit a bump, then it shakes like crazy. Was thinking of installing a steering stabilizer (damper). I had this same problem on my Cherokee and a new stabilizer fixed it.

Back