pmatakevich

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
What I have replaced:
• Front end Shocks
• Driver's side UCA and Lower ball joint
• Driver and Passenger Sway Bar links

Everytime I go over a bump I hear a clunking noise and im not sure if maybe i over-tightened the UCA when i put it in, or if there is some other problem. The only other thing that I can think might be wrong is maybe the sway bar bushings? any thoughts on the matter? I still have to put in the passenger side UCA and Lower ball joint, but I cant see that causing a clunking noise. By the way the clunking noise is coming from the driver's side it sounds like, and only occurs when going over large bumps, but seems to nor be very noticable in the rain... Thanks for all help in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sway bar body mounts

The bolts on my shocks came loose not long after installing them. It was clunking terribly. Tightened them and haven't had a problem since. Probably not the case, but just a reminder to check everything after a while.

What I have replaced:
• Front end Shocks
• Driver's side UCA and Lower ball joint

Everytime I go over a bump I hear a clunking noise and im not sure if maybe i over-tightened the UCA when i put it in, or if there is some other problem. The only other thing that I can think might be wrong is maybe the sway bar bushings? any thoughts on the matter? I still have to put in the passenger side UCA and Lower ball joint, but I cant see that causing a clunking noise. By the way the clunking noise is coming from the driver's side it sounds like, and only occurs when going over large bumps, but seems to nor be very noticable in the rain... Thanks for all help in advance!!!
if the noise is coming from the passenger side underbody...i had the same thing and was driving me crazy.... i thought that my newly installed muffler system was loose and would make a clunking noise whenever the truck moves or starts or anything.... i looked underneath yesterday and realized that just above the two catalytic converters was a metal plate just below the floor pan..... the metal plate appeared to be held with rivet or something but the plate itself rusted out and broke in half and it was resting on one of the converters and would make a clunking noise.... which drove me crazy for a while.... good luck

I 2nd the sway bar body mounts. Getting ready to replace mine as well.

Have you looked at the pads on your torsion bars where they connect to the torsion bar adjuster? They eventually wear out and when you hit a bump will clunk.

I have not yet looked at my torsion bar pads or my sway bar body mounts. I will check those and post my findings. I dont think its a loose shock bolt, and that metal plate by the catalytic converters sounds odd :p, would that cause it to clunk only when going over bumps?

and that metal plate by the catalytic converters sounds odd :p, would that cause it to clunk only when going over bumps?

It did on my wife's Tahoe. It was only over bumps but it was more of a rattle than a clunk.

pmatakevich said:
I have not yet looked at my torsion bar pads or my sway bar body mounts. I will check those and post my findings. I dont think its a loose shock bolt, and that metal plate by the catalytic converters sounds odd :p, would that cause it to clunk only when going over bumps?

thats what it did to mine..... It was resting on top of the converters

What I have replaced:
• Front end Shocks
• Driver's side Upper Control Arms and Lower ball joint

Everytime I go over a bump I hear a clunking noise and I'm not sure if maybe I over-tightened the Upper Control Arms when i put it in, or if there is some other problem.

You might look into the BODY MOUNTS or insulators as ford calls them. Seems Ford tried some new type of "INSULATORS" and they wear out quickly, I've been hearing mine clunking near my liftgate for some time now.

I don't think the 2001 has the torsion bar pads, does it? Just thinking back to old stuff I've read...

For how easy the sway bar body mounts are to replace, toss some on- even if you grab the sway bar and move it, sometimes you don't see movement, and they're still shot. They will stop a very common clunking.

Back