Solved - Clunks While Turning Left? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Clunks While Turning Left?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

DemonMudder

- When In Doubt, Redneck It Out -
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 C1500
So my '99 Explorer XLT 4x4 ever since I got her back in 2019 has made a clunking on left turns now and then, usually not so much at lower speeds. I've replaced the cv axles which was believed to be the issue but it still does it. It's just a clunk, it's not affecting the steering or anything, just making a racket that I'd like to fix but google ain't helping much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a similar issue. Low speed right turn, and braking to a stop. Front end is tighter than a frog’s butthole. Found some play in the rear right. Needs axle bearings. I’ll let you know if that fixes it.

Unlikely, because they usually clunk at lower speed turns, but easy to check. Upper control arm bolts or camber bolts are notorious for coming loose since many alignment shops tighten by "feel" and not the recommended 98 ft/lb. torque spec. Also make sure to tighten with tires on the ground to prevent the UCA bushings from binding. Chased a clunk for over a year that always happened turning into driveways at low speed or going straight over small bumps. Found a rear UCA nut loosened about 1/8" causing the annoyance. As a preventative measure, and instead of using Loctite I installed M14x1.50 jam nuts on all four bolts.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out over the next couple days when I get some time. Really hope that it's just that and not a combination of more crap I have to fix. (Knowing my truck, it'll just throw something else new at me)

I had the same/similar problem and as asswshawaii mentioned it turned out to be a loose UCA bolt ....mine would clank on right turns pulling into slopped entrances to gas stations / shopping centers etc (was passenger side UCA bolt) and when going over speed bumps it felt like the front end was going to rattle apart.
Since yours clanks going left check the drivers side first....

I had the same/similar problem and as asswshawaii mentioned it turned out to be a loose UCA bolt ....mine would clank on right turns pulling into slopped entrances to gas stations / shopping centers etc (was passenger side UCA bolt) and when going over speed bumps it felt like the front end was going to rattle apart.
Will do, thanks, I'll probably check it out in the morning

Also, if it helps any, when I replaces the cv axles, it did muffle/silence them for a day or t
Yeah, I tightened it down (both sides), drivers side definitely wasn't tightened down enough, but the clunking is still going, I'll try to record it tonight after work.

Sway bar end links checked?

Okay, so heres a video with the sound, the whole time I'm turning left. I accelerate and so does it, I slow down and it does as well. I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I've heard the same clunk or a similar one when I've slammed on the brakes or just braked a bit hard in general

Can't watch your video on my dinosaur laptop. You're saying it's rotational noise that speeds up and slows down depending on speed?

Caliper brackets are also worth checking.

Definitely wouldn't hurt, thanks!

Finally got your video to load.

DEFINITELY rotational noise. Can almost rule out suspension related. Check EVERYTHING that turns. LOL & GL

Finally got your video to load.

DEFINITELY rotational noise. Can almost rule out suspension related. Check EVERYTHING that turns. LOL & GL
Well that narrows done a couple of things but adds a nice list of other crap, thanks lol

:popcorn:

Well, at least now I know the cause, differential is going, 2 years at least. Going to take it in soon, but otherwise for now, it ain't hurting anything, yet

How much play does it have at the front pinion, moving it by hand side to side? Pull the front driveshaft and check the CV joint too. See how loose the CV joint is there, and if the noise goes away with that off. The front diff, should be okay if the gear oil is filled, and the transfer case isn't locked up(been driven in 4WD on pavement).

The driveshaft has a slight bit of twist movement, that's it. Twists the cv with it but I can't move it by hand. The transfer case does lock up in 4wd, at least it did once; trying to see if the clunks occured in 4wd, I tested it and the truck wouldn't transfer back without disconnecting the battery. Oil is fine too

That sounds fairly normal. When my front differential died, the pinion would move sideways a good 1/4" I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm just taking it in and having it rebuilt, hoping for the best

Back