• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Bleeding problems...

konradwo

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a '93 explorer sport with 5-speed mazda transmission. I've been wanting to replace the clutch now for a while and i thought it would be straightforward, wrong! I dropped the trans and installed a brand new clutch+pressure plate+slave cylinder/throwout bearing.Not a problem.Put the trans back in, hooked up the hydraulic lines, went to bleed and got a lot of air bubbles; an almost unending supply of them. Went to work the clutch pedal and it was limp.I tried the gravity bleeding thing but all I got was more and more bubbles, almost like air was being sucked in somewhere.so I removed the master cylinder and got a new one.installed it and gavity bled for a while, went to try the pedal again and nothing, still limp. Is there some trick to bleeding these ford clutches or did I miss something in the install (all lines are hooked up correctly) You think there would at least be some pressure as it compresses the air in the system, but no there is no pressure at all.Any help would be appreciated because I am at my wits end...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost sounds like you've got a hole in the hydraulic line somewhere.

The mounting position of the master cylinder on the firewall traps air in the rear portion of the cylinder. Before bleeding the system, remove the master cylinder from the firewall and position it so the reservoir end is higher than the push rod end. This will enable air to escape from the rear portion of the cylinders. Use only approved hydraulic fluid recommended by the manufacturer.

Yeah, They are crap to bleed.Gravity bleed first.Then fill it up,do some pumps,have someone crack the bleeder and then do it alot more times.Sometimes you may have to pump the pedal a few times first then bleed.

They are one of the hardest system to bleed. You'll just have to try and try and give it time for the gravity to work it way down. It took me almost two days to bleed my 94 after the clutch replacement. You'll want to check the level often while bleeding, cause it is not a big container.

A note on this... Ford replacement slaves seem to bleed easier then aftermarket ones.
In my experience with them.

Back