clutch problem / gearbox problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch problem / gearbox problem

Peetn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer xlt
Hello,

first of all I know this problem has been around but I haven't found an answer yet so forgive me for reposting!

I have the following situation with my manual gearbox:

1. when the engine is off I can shift into any gear easily although it feels a bit dry
2. when the car is cold I can shift easily as well
3. when we have driven a bit it becomes harder and harder to sometimes impossible to shift into first gear while at a full stop with engine on
4. while driving it also sometimes seems to doubt whether it is going to shift immediately although I am a slow shifter
5. after maneuvering on a hill (in first or second) at high rev it is impossible to put in reverse after (its like putting in reverse while driving, there is definitely teeth grinding, although we are fully stopped
6. the cluth is really tough, maybe this is normal for this truck but it is nearly impossible driving bear feet
7. the clutch oil is nice and full

The car becomes impossible to drive on hilly streets or in traffic jams!

We are traveling through Brazil at the moment and this car isn't overly common over here so it would be great if I could go to a mechanic armed with ideas, it'll be hard enough translating in Portuguese.

Thank you thank you thank you!

The symptoms of a bad slave cylinder! You can try bleeding the clutch system, that may help a bit. Search the forum for the tricks unique to Fords to bleed it thoroughly.
To replace the slave, the transmission needs to be dropped, not something I would want to have done in a foreign country!
The replacement slave really should be from Ford, virtually all other brands will fail in the near term.
I suggest you learn to drive it with the problems, if bleeding doesn't help. You can get used to it.
I've been driving that way for years.

The symptoms of a bad slave cylinder! You can try bleeding the clutch system, that may help a bit. Search the forum for the tricks unique to Fords to bleed it thoroughly.
To replace the slave, the transmission needs to be dropped, not something I would want to have done in a foreign country!
The replacement slave really should be from Ford, virtually all other brands will fail in the near term.
I suggest you learn to drive it with the problems, if bleeding doesn't help. You can get used to it.
I've been driving that way for years.

Thanks I have had it bled and if that doesn't help I will get used to it..

thanks for the replies!

Back