Clutch slave cylinder compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch slave cylinder compatibility?

Troy H

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia Gorge, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Will a clutch slave cylinder from 1999+ work on a 1996?

I seem to have purchased the wrong part. I have it installed and am just about to connect it and bleed it. Then I make the realization...

At SummitRacing.com, after searching "clutch slave cylinder" on their site, the left side has additional filters to help you make the right purchase. When I filter Ford>Ranger>XLT>4.0L it narrows the results down to one selection - Dorman CS650006. No filtering is available to choose "1996". I purchased (and installed) this part. However, I find that if I filter Ford>Ranger>1996>4.0L it selects Dorman 360016, but lists my Ranger type as "S" not "XLT". This looks more exactly like the part I removed, I just thought that Dorman went fancy and enclosed the slave cylinder in a rubber boot. It mounted to the transmission just fine, giving no hint at a compatibility issue.

Will this slave cylinder work or will I need to remove the tranny again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have both slave cylinders and they seem to be the same. Although the new slave cylinder have plastic around the cylinder to protect the seal (leave it on) and the older one does not.

The only part that may have change from the 96 to 99 would be the clutch master cylinder.

I know at some point they changed the hyd line connection slightly , but I am not sure what year that happened. I would say if they appear the same you're good to go.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I finished the install and despite a couple of small oddities, the SC seems to be working just fine. I've been a bit nervous for the other foot to fall, however.

The oddities that I encountered did relate to the tubing as you mention. The MC tubing felt like it should push in further into the SC; it didn't really feel solid. And when bleeding the SC, I never got a full stream of brake fluid, just a steady drip. I did confirm that the level in my MC reservoir dropped and that I had a connected system. While that would indicate that there's a connection problem in the line, the clutch worked well and easily.

I am interested to find out more about the tubing change. The tubing that I installed was correct for the 1996, but if the 1999+ change required a modification of the receiver on the SC, then I may still have reason for concern. I've been running on it now for two weeks and it still functions very well. I haven't run into any new problems, but I continue to be suspicious.

The connector was changed around 93 or so.

There is a 91-92 design, 93-97 design and a 98-01 design, at least for Explorers, it might be slightly different for the Ranger but

As far as I can tell, the 98-01 slave is what's available now in place of them all, at least from the dealer. Aftermarket, who knows, I'd guess a lot of them never changed the part and it's just the revised 91-92/93-97 slave or something.

Slave cylinders are so much hassle to change with having to drop the tranny that I always just suggest going with OEM Ford/Motorcraft for the part and being done with it. $70 from the dealer (get it from our site vendor Tousley Ford) and you don't have to screw around.

There shouldn't be any issue with using the slave though, just that I'd expect it to have a shorter life being aftermarket, but hopefully not.

There is a 91-92 design, 93-97 design and a 98-01 design, at least for Explorers, it might be slightly different for the Ranger but

As far as I can tell, the 98-01 slave is what's available now in place of them all, at least from the dealer. Aftermarket, who knows, I'd guess a lot of them never changed the part and it's just the revised 91-92/93-97 slave or something.

Slave cylinders are so much hassle to change with having to drop the tranny that I always just suggest going with OEM Ford/Motorcraft for the part and being done with it. $70 from the dealer (get it from our site vendor Tousley Ford) and you don't have to screw around.

There shouldn't be any issue with using the slave though, just that I'd expect it to have a shorter life being aftermarket, but hopefully not.

you wouldnt have a part number would you?his Q&A thread appears to be dead:(

you wouldnt have a part number would you?his Q&A thread appears to be dead:(

There were lots of part numbers for these over the years:

1L2Z-7A508-AA, 4L5Z-7A508-AB, 5L5Z-7A508-A, 6L5Z-7A508-AA, YL5Z-7A508-AA, 1F20-16-540, 1F80-16-540, ZZP0-16-222, ZZP0-16-222A, 1L2Z7A508AA, 4L5Z7A508AB, 5L5Z7A508A, 6L5Z7A508AA, YL5Z7A508AA, 1F2016540, 1F8016540, ZZP016222, ZZP016222A.

Putting them into a Trademotion parts search shows the most recent part number is 9L5Z7A508A.

Well dang.seems these two numbers kept coming up for me but cant really find a trusted place and was going to call today but its 5 now.
F57Z7A543A Master
F2TZ7A564A Slave

Ok looks like they list three all by last numbers.wonder what the differences is? Ill probably just go by the one you post or call whenever they open again.
7A564
7A508

Back