Clutch slave cylinder "loose"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch slave cylinder "loose"?

Winddr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a '94 Sport 4x4 with manual trans. I am attempting to bleed the slave cylinder and have gotten a BUNCH of helpful advice from this forum. I decided to attempt to use my Mighty-Vac (as described here ==> Bleeding the slave cylinder in 3~5 minutes) and acquired a couple different sizes of clear plastic tubing that would fit over the bleeder nipple. I crawled under the Sport to fit the tubing to the bleeder nipple and as I was attempting to force the plastic tubing over the nipple (I live in the Colorado Rockies at ~9,000' elevation and it is COLD in the garage) the bleeder nipple moved. I stopped working the tubing and used my fingers to move the nipple approximately 1/2" back-and-forth (front of vehicle to rear of vehicle direction).
This may be nothing, but I wanted to be sure before proceeding that this is "normal"?
So my question is this: should there be 1/2" movement (play) in the clutch slave cylinder bleeder nipple?
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
As an aside, if this is NOT "normal" I am assuming I need to drop the tranny and install a new clutch slave cylinder?
Thanks again
Mark
'94 Sport 4wd
'93 Eddie Bauer 4wd (bone-stock)

Well the nature of the slave cyl will allow that nipple to move back and forth yes
1/2” seems excessive but it will move until it touches the case of the trans

Here is a picture of a slave so you can see the bleeder is at the end of a tube that mounts to the slave with an o ring

3451CCD4-1649-4386-9488-710293EDB180.jpeg

Crappy
Pic of a clutch I recently did

Good pics of the part here

Well the nature of the slave cyl will allow that nipple to move back and forth yes
1/2” seems excessive but it will move until it touches the case of the trans

Here is a picture of a slave so you can see the bleeder is at the end of a tube that mounts to the slave with an o ring

View attachment 450690

Crappy
Pic of a clutch I recently did

Good pics of the part here

Cannot thank you enough for this information. And VERY glad this is "normal"
THANKS!!

Back