Cobra Mustang woes

Goober

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT4x4
I finally got the go ahead from the Mrs. to go get me a new vehicle. I have been absolutely drolling over the new 2003 Cobra Mustang. I have read all the literature I could find, decorated my computer with pic,..etc. I go to the dealer today to check them out in person and.... I'm too frickin' tall! I'm only 6'2", and I can't even hardly get in the stupid thing. Once I put the seat all the way back and reclined it, I finally got in. Now my head is against the headliner and I can hardly see out the windshield. My direct field of vision is where the headliner meets the windsheild. Why can't they make the mustang just a bit larger for the folks who really want one but aren't the 'average' height? I wanna Cobra!!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that too! When we were buying our X last year, They had a Cobra on the showroom floor, so I sat down in it just to see how it felt. First I whacked my knees on the steering wheel, then my head smacked the roof. I finally got the seat to the point where I fit, but I was also looking out through the tint 1/2" below the top of the windshield and my thighs were still bumping the steering wheel. I swear ya gotta be no taller than 5'8" to drive one! (I'm 6'1") Rules that one out for the next vehicle. My wife is gonna need a new car to replace her Firebird one of these days, but I guess it won't be the 'Stang :(

I'm like 5'8 or 5'9 and fit perfectly when driving my friends 01' or 03' Cobra. So that seems to be the perfect size.

Dude, no matter what, get one, stock they are fast as hell, but with only a few bolt-on's my friend is running 11's at the track, you should see it when some people think it's a regular GT (like you can't see the snake badges or hear the dohc rumble:rolleyes: ) and they want to race and we kill them so hard it's not funny.
I wanted a Cobra so bad, mom and I even went look at them, but they were just hard to get a hold of without waiting forever on a list. Damnit, and my friends parents bought him the car and paid for the mods, *******:p

It is really insane how well they respond to mods, plus you cannot top the growl of the dohc engine, I recomend a Magnaflow X-PIPE and Magnaflow Catback, this is what he has (plus some other stuff) and it sounds incredible, I can just sit there and listen to it idle or rev all day long:D

mustangs are defaintely small. i once sat across the back, wth my head tucked down. but i shouldnt be saying this.. but what about a vette.. enough room for someone over 6'5. sorry.. i shoudlnt have mentioned a chevy.. im done

get a convertable and a nice pair of snowboarding goggles. Leave the top down and have your head stick out above the windsheild....should make plenty of room :)

buy a Z4 bimmer with the 3.0L straight six!

doh i'm 6'7 no cobra for me, ever :(

damn, you guys have been driving trucks too long.:p yea, im 6'0" and it was pretty tight (GT, not Cobra, but its the same thing.) what you must have overlooked is the seat can be lowered. this will keep your head from hitting the headliner. just remember, its a sports car, so its gonna be a little harder to get in an out of...

Originally posted by james t
damn, you guys have been driving trucks too long.:p yea, im 6'0" and it was pretty tight (GT, not Cobra, but its the same thing.) what you must have overlooked is the seat can be lowered. this will keep your head from hitting the headliner. just remember, its a sports car, so its gonna be a little harder to get in an out of...

Oh, I had the seat lowered as much as it would let me and as far back as possible, and there just wasn't enough room. I could have leaned the seat waaaay back to fit, but that's not a comfortable or safe driving position.

I have had 2 '65 Mustangs and a '66 Mustang in the past, and I fit fine in them. My wife drives a '89 Firebird and I fit fine in it too.

I'm used to the lack of room in muscle cars, but this was too small. My Samurai has more room than the 'Stang!!

if you guys think you're too tall in the Cobra, get the vert and you can have all the room you can possibly want.

Originally posted by n2knee
if you guys think you're too tall in the Cobra, get the vert and you can have all the room you can possibly want.
I agree, even if I was too tall for a Cobra/GT I would force myself to fit or buy a vert, anything is worth it just to have that sohc or dohc growl and burble:cool:

Did the Cobra you tried out have a sunroof? That lowers the headliner quite a bit. Also you can mount the seat further back. Unless it was already touching the back seat! A tall friend of mine did that to his '89 Mustang when he first got it. I've noticed what makes the Mustangs seem smaller inside is the anti submarine (I know it sounds funny) panels under the steering wheel. Where youre knees would hit in an accident. I'm lucky, I'm only 5-11 but sadly I don't have that kind of money.

Just take the seat out and throw a phone book or two on the floor.

My neighbor had the seats redone from his really nice cutlass (I think its a '72, not sure) and while they were getting redone he just bought one of those really low lawn chairs, ya know, the kind where your practically sitting on the ground. He actually liked it better than his seats as he is 6'6". He still had arm rests and a seat back too! It was really funny looking at it tho.

you can move the seat track stopping pin 2 inches back if you drill a new hole, atleast it works in the Tbirds, you should go on stangnet and ask if it'll work.

Back