Cobra rims on explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cobra rims on explorer

I've heard mustang cobra (17") rims fit nicely on explorers. I've also heard some rubbing occurs with the emergency parking break on the front tires. Then I've also heard spacers are needed on the front (the rims are offset 25mm). I Don't if that rubbing occured after or before the spacers where in. Does anyone know more about this? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to www.explorerexpress.com

They sell the rims for like 230 for the silver and 330 for chrome. They say that the front's require a 3/16 spacer, I believe.

T

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

JasonT

I had mine installed about a month ago. I've got the 17X9 chrome and Scorpion Zero tires (275-55-17). If your Explorer is 4X2, you must install the spacers. Without the spacers you will hear a rubbing noise when you steer all the way. I do not know if the rubbing would do any damage to the suspension or the rims, but the noise is just annoying.

If you are from the Bay Area, I would suggest you go visit Explorer Express. You can get all the info. you need at their website: www.explorerexpress.com.

Good Luck.

n2kee,
what kind of explorer do you have? i want to put on cobras. do they look good? if its possible i would love to see some pics!
thanks
tim

Hey n2knee, do those Cobra rims have sufficient load rating per wheel to take them off road? Also, is it safe to assume that since the Cobra rims fit so well on Explorers...just about any aftermarket rim (with the proper load rating) for the Mustang will fit as well?

Tim-
my Explorer is a '98 EB 4X2 V8. I'll post pictures of it as soon as I can get my scanner fixed. I think Jornum had installed the Cobra-R's as well recently.

actually N2knee, I am still working on it ;-) I just moved out of my house, so my saving for the rims went down the drain. But hopefully I will have them within a month or two. I really want them before summer. I did want to say though, if you wanted to save about 50 bucks a tire, get the rims from Gefracing.com. they are one of the biggest distributors of Ford Motorsports parts in the country. they are only 170 each, for silver. I have talked to them, and will make a package of rims and tires of your choice. Just thought I would pass on what I found out.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

KSolo:

Since the Cobra-R rims were originally designed for the Mustang Cobra-R, I am 99% certain that the rims were not designed for off-road purposes (especially serious off-roading).

What about for light off-roading?

------------------
Ryan Kelso
93 Explorer Sport 4x4
K&N Drop In
ProComp Pro Runner Light Bar
Stull Billet Grille
Hella 500's
Blue Opta Fogs
GTS Blackouts all around
Kenwood and Kicker Stereo

cowboyz1659@hotmail.com

N2Knee, Yeah man!...Soon as you get your scanner working. Let me see some pics. I have the Eddie Bauer model, so as very curious to see what cobra wheels look like with the set up. Am definately want to change those boring stockers! What color is your truck and what finish are the wheels (silver or chrome)? Keep me posted

I just fixed my scanner. My question now is how can attach a picture when I post my reply?

Good question N2Knee, I would like to know how do do that myself. you can e-mail the picture(s) at NiceThai@aol.com

I thought you guys might like this. I don't know how to make this a link, but check out this explorer to see what cobra rims look like on an explorer. Dead Link Removed

n2knee, do you have any info on how well those Scorpion Zero's perform in wet or snowy weather? I'm considering going with 17" rims and rubber but I don't really want to have to change tires back and forth when the winter hits. Also was there any particular reason why you went with Scorpion Zero's over Yoko AVS-ST's or Dunlop Sport Rovers?

Thanks

Back