• Register Today It's free!

Cobra Wheels

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I just ordered a set of Cobra wheels from a place called American Wheel & Tire. Anybody ever heard of them? Anyway, I got 4 silver 17inch Cobra's for $620 shipped to my door. Sounded like a good deal to me so I jumped on it. My question is....are these the wheels i'm looking for? I want the same wheels that most everyone is putting on their Explorers...I believe they are Cobra R's? They are the ones that are on the Explorer Sport Trac on the sport website. Here is a pic of them....are they the right kind? thanks.

Dead Link Removed

they are the ones down towards the bottom of the page labeled "Detroit Ford Cobra Replica".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the cobra replicas I've ever seen are the 5lug on 4.5in bolt pattern and will fit all X's and mustangs.
Theres at least a couple threads here on the subject-
check the wheels and tires section.

HELP PLEASE

Ok, i've been reading and searching threads now for like an hour or so and still can't find the answers i'm looking for. i have a 99 AWD 4door XLT with the 5.0L v8. I need to know what all i need to have done\buy to put on my 17X9 cobra r's when they come? will they rub? do i need spacers? if I do need spacers....why? front and back? what kind? what size? also, what size and brand of tires is everyone using?

p.s. my origianl question i got answered when i called the shop about the style wheels and they are cobra r's.

the place i got my wheels from said they would fit no problem but somehow i don't believe them.

sorry for all the questions but i'm new to modding suv's.

they should fit.. but you might need spacers. some use them, some dont, and u need spacers only in the front. spacers are used so the tire doesnt rub at full turn. so if u dont turn ur steering wheel all the way left or right, you probably shoudlnt rub too much. some put it on and have no problems.. some put it on and never use them again. itz just a preference. when u get the wheels, just measure how much overlap there is at full turn, and if u want spacers, order for the front accordingly. good luck. post pics too

my R's rubbed the lower control arm at full steering lock. the actual wheel rubbed, not the tire. it didnt rub with no lowering, only when i lowered it 2". i have 255/50/17's on the front (275/50's on the rear). all i did was grind a little off of the lip of the lower control arm with a hand-held grinder. works fine, and NO spacers.

Back