• Register Today It's free!

code 22 map sensor/ baro

craigor

Reaction score
City, State
st. catharines ontario canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
i have a 91 eddie baurer and the engine light is on .
i scanned it ,it comes up code 22 map sensor /baro out of range.
ford told me my year truck has no map sensor and i dont know what baro means can you help me.
also my interior and head lights flicker when idling
my volt gauge bounces and i put a new altenator on still the same is this all one problem thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Baro = Barometric or air pressure (altitude)
The map sensor use to provide the baro signal on the older speed density systems. The Explorer uses a mass air system which uses a mass airflow sensor (MAF) instead of the less accurate map/baro sensor. Try cleaning your MAF and see if the code goes away.

Craigor, there is a small wire coming off the negative battery terminal, that connects to the radiator frame. This is an extra ground for the headlight circuit. Try cleaning and tightening the connection. This won't cost anything, and it might fix the lights.

If it dosen't, then the problem is more than likely in the light switch itself.

where is the mass sensor on the fire wall or in line with air filter box

Its attached to the air box.

thanks mrboyle i will look for it when the freezing rain and snow let up.
up here in ontario canada it winter again after 65 temps last week

YATC22P (me too!)

If anyone is tracking this thread, my 1991 XLT has problems identical to those described here.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!!

Bob W
Miami FL

interior light ,dash lights ,and headlights flicker

I have the same problem on my 1991 XLT 4dr

How to do it.

I had prepared a long, detailed post once I had solved this problem but, since there didn't appear to be a lot of interest, never did send it.

The local Ford dealers all told me that the 1991 Ranger HAS NO MAP/Baro sensor. NOT TRUE!

The answer is that Ford plays games with the parts terms. And went out of the way to make this part hard to locate on the 1991 Ranger.

Open the hood and look on the upper firewall just a little to the passenger side of the middle.

The sensor is IDENTICAL to the previous years' MAP/BP but is about 3/4 hidden in a recess in the firewall. All that can be easily seen is the electrical connector and the nipple (to the driver's side of the connector) where the vacuum hoze WAS connected in earlier years.

No vacuun hoze connected - can't be a MAP/BP sensor, can it? Yeah; riiiight. BTW, mine has a white piece slid over the vacuum hoze nipple that changes the appearance enough to make things even more confusing.

The sensor unit is loose inside a "pocket" made by a plastic "cup" held in the firewall by a plastic cover over the front of the sensor, with cutouts for the electrical connector & the nipple. This retaining piece can be removed by using a flat head screw driver to pop loose the "clips" that secure it to the firewall.

And, YES, I DID buy a MAP/BP sensor for a 1991 Ford Ranger from Advance Auto here, identical to the old one, & replaced my old one with it. Reset the self diagnostic systems and have had no "code 22" problem since.

And all the other problems mentioned cleared up after to system "relearned" the truck's operation patterns.

BTW - The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor does NOT replace the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor (by what EVER initials you wish to call it) in the 1991 Ranger. MINE has them BOTH. The first on the air intake & the second in the firewall.

Bob W
Miami FL

Umm

Does this work for the explorer because thats what i have 1991 xlt explorer

Ymmv

pantherXLT -

Can only speak for my '91 Ranger. If you only have problems with the lights, not a code 22, then it probably won't apply. If you have the code 22 then you might want to look see if your Explorer has the sensor hidden in the firewall.

I don't know anyone who drives an Explorer that I could look at.

Luck.

Bob W
Miami FL

Back