2004 Explorer 4.0 Idle air control question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4.0 Idle air control question

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi All,
Long time no talk. This I think is the first time I'm writing in this forum as I used to hang out in the 95-02 forum but recently moved up to an 04 EB with the 4.0.

I had a quick question though, I had the check engine/service engine/ MIL go on today and the code was P0506 Idle air control lower than expected. OK I thought, no problem I'll clean the Idle air control as I did on previous vehicles... yet I did some research and apparently this car doesn't have an IAC... sooo any thoughts what could be causing this light? I cleared it for now but in case it comes back I want to see what I can do. The car has 114000 miles and is new to me.. like 2 weeks old. Everything else seems fine, just this issue and trying to get used to the different shifting style with this transmission versus my 96. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like my car is from the future... whoops. 2004 would be the correct year :)

I'd lean towards a vacuume leak or dirty throttle body.

From http://www.obd-codes.com/p0506 Some of the causes include:
Vacuum Leak
An air restriction in the intake air path or exhaust
A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body
Internal engine problem
Failed PCM

Check out these Videos:

Great. Thanks for the videos. I don't hear a vacuum leak anywhere so i'll try cleaning out the throttle body. I also did some research and some people said it could be the MAF is dirty... does that sounds possible?

Great. Thanks for the videos. I don't hear a vacuum leak anywhere so i'll try cleaning out the throttle body. I also did some research and some people said it could be the MAF is dirty... does that sounds possible?

Make sure you use the correct cleaners for the MAF and coated throttle body. Walmart has a 2-pack of small aerosol cans. One MAF cleaner and one throttle body safe cleaner in the auto dept near the brake cleaner. It's CRC or some other reputable brand, can't remember.

Also, follow this procedure for clearing the computer and retraining the drive by wire throttle body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAsoqmqhdM

Your vehicle does in fact have an IAC. I just cleaned mine thoroughly. I'll post a diagram later this evening.

The 2004 and later models don't have an IAC (but the 02-03 do). They went to an electronically controlled throttle instead. The MAF provides information for the PCM and the PCM adjust idle air by varying the position of the throttle plate. It's possible the MAF sensor could be dirty as previously mentioned.

I spoke too soon. Thanks for setting me right.

-Dubya

I changed the year in the title. ;):thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! and thank you for changing the title. I reset the code and let it run for about 300 miles and it hasn't come back so for the moment I'm leaving it alone. If it comes back I will go through and thoroughly clean everything with the correct cleaner.

How is the idle? When I needed to clean my throttle body the idle was a bit uneven. I suggest taking the time to clean the throttle body and the MAF. And it is correct there is no IAC on the 2004. Ford went to a drive by wire system in '04 and eliminated the IAC. Enjoy your Explorer. We have 94k on our '04 and other than replacing the rear wheel bearings it has been repair free! We use ours for weekend/travel purposes mostly.

Back