• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake

DaveWC

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT control trac 4wd
just wondering if anyone has posted a thread on building your own cold air intake for a SOHC 4.0 V6. Trying to see if it is cost effective to do this vs. purchasing a kit. Kits seem to range from 65.00 to 300.00 depending on brand. If so does anyone have the diameters of the pieces needed to make it work? Thanks, DaveWC:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81609 its for an OHV but the SOHC intake is the exact same!

SOHC and OHV intakes are the same? That's the first I've heard that. How so? The intake tube is a completely different bend/length etc.

OHV (from that link you sent):

15573dsc00128.jpg

SOHC (from my the Volant setup I had in my old SOHC Sport), not a custom intake of course:

28419Volant-1.jpg

They're similar, but far from identical.

my SOHC is a straight shot with that same bend going to the TB. either way, if the OHV has a little bit longer tube all you would have to do is modify those instructions just a little ie: shortening that straight peice of pipe

5544000019_large.jpg

my SOHC is a straight shot with that same bend going to the TB. either way, if the OHV has a little bit longer tube all you would have to do is modify those instructions just a little ie: shortening that straight peice of pipe

I agree.

The tube is definitely different. I took the hardware from my SOHC and modded it to work with my current ride (5.0). Only difference was the intake tube. There was no way that SOHC intake tube was going to work with the 5.0. Also, the SOHC had two breather tubes and the 5.0 only one (not sure about OHV). It's really all a function of where the TB sits relative to the airbox that is different in all three engines (as you said).

Volant agrees too except they don't make a kit for the 5.0 (I used 19640):

http://www.volantperformance.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfile/FILE/Pictures/Ford40bulletin.pdf

Fact remains, all intake kits work the same. Focus on a good filter. It's the one component that affects long term performance (and health) of your engine. Don't skimp there!

Thanks for the info, great pictures too. Looks like an easy build. Never thought of ABS plastic. Thanks again!! DaveWC

Back