• Register Today It's free!

Hard to start this morning

idontknow82

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V6 OHV
Had a hard time starting this morning. It seemed to do a slow idle and stalled. I barely got it started the second time. I drove it yesterday in the rain and hit some puddles, possible something got wet? After shutting it off and restarting when the engine warmed up it, it started fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, obvious question first: Was there a Check Engine light? Even if there wasn't I'd do a quick data dump to see if there are any active codes. If you don't have a datatrac or other type of OBDII data grabber thingie-mo-bob, swing by a friendly autoparts store. Some are known to lend you their datatrac in exchange for holding on to your driver's license.

The wet may be a clue, from a glitchy TPS to just damn near everything.

I had a simalar problem yesterday morning and this morning. I go out to start it up in the morning and it only starts up for a split second then shuts off. After that it just cranks till I tap the gas pedal a few times while cranking it then it fires right up and runs like new. After it's started in the morning it starts fine every other time.....It's kind of confusing...I don't know where to start looking. Their is no check engine light, and the only thing I have done with it recently is change the fuel filter. Plugs, wires, battery are all fairly new. Thanks for any ideas in advance!

-Russ 1999 sohc

Tap The Throttle?

???

The TPS comes to mind, but it SHOULD trigger a Check Engine Light. It may be worthwhile to see what Mr. Computer has logged. It may be logging latent faults that could help you diagnose the situation.

Another suggestion is a fuel system pressure bleed-down. You mentioned replacing the fuel filter. To get modern auto engines to fire right up, the fuel system remains pressurized. When you replaced the filter you had to bleed it down first, right? If the pressure bleeds off at night, it may take a while for the fuel pump to get things back to normal. Your "pedal tap" may be a coinky-dink, and what is actually happening is you are stalling for time until the system reaches full cook.

Look under the truck for puddles. Look for evidence of gas seeping. Maybe the bleed-down valve is not tightly closed.

If that all looks good, tomorrow, get in the truck, turn on the key, and sit for about 30 seconds before engaging the starter.

Let us know what transpires.

I replaced the fuel filter 4 days ago and it has been fine since yesterday morning. Also it has been rather cold that past 2 nights. Their is no puddles or leaks that I can find so Ill try what you said in the morning and let you know. Thanks!

-Russ

How cold is it over there?
Sounds like a loose drive belt tensioner on the SOHC engines. Making your alternator work harder and not juicing enough on the startup.

i know this is off topic

but please help me with this one....

will these fit my 98 explorer? will they stick out? i dont think the width will be a problem, i had 20in daytons on before... i actually want them to stick out a little bit...

front: 8.5in
rear: 9.5in
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Diameter: 18in
Offset: 35

heres a link to the rims...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Ri...mZ360075957964

How cold is it over there?
Sounds like a loose drive belt tensioner on the SOHC engines. Making your alternator work harder and not juicing enough on the startup.

No the belt and tensioner are brand spankin new but I did what richreed told me to do this morning.....I got in the truck turnd the key so the fuel pump engaged, waited probably only 15 seconds and she fired right up....we'll see what she does tomarow.

Odds are that if you had just hit a pile of puddles, it didn't want to re-start one time immediately thereafter, but has started fine ever since, I would wager a guess that water had worked its way into someplace it shouldn't have been. Sitting for a while dried it out, and everything's back to normal again. If it's not throwing a code, and the CEL isn't coming on, odds are it'll remain a mystery. If it only does it this one time and never does it again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does it every time it rains, you've got some work ahead.

FWIW, with 165k on mine, it's done exactly the same thing to me three times in ten years. I'm not worried about it.

Odds are that if you had just hit a pile of puddles, it didn't want to re-start one time immediately thereafter, but has started fine ever since, I would wager a guess that water had worked its way into someplace it shouldn't have been. Sitting for a while dried it out, and everything's back to normal again. If it's not throwing a code, and the CEL isn't coming on, odds are it'll remain a mystery. If it only does it this one time and never does it again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does it every time it rains, you've got some work ahead.

FWIW, with 165k on mine, it's done exactly the same thing to me three times in ten years. I'm not worried about it.

Yeah I think your right, I did detail the engine the day before it didn't start. I didn't use water though, Just a multipurpose cleaner and armorall. It's been doing fine the last two mornings so I don't think it's anything to worry about either. She's got 161K on her now so it's about that age to where it will do some funky stuff sometimes... Thanks for your help guys!

-Russ

Back