Cold Weather Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Weather Tires

I want to put some 33" tires on my "X". My local tire shop says that with such large tires in the winter, the tires will freeze, and have a hard time turning, and in turn, break things. Has anyone else had trouble like this, or know anyone that has. I really would like to put the 33's on, but if it is going to break something, I will be hesitant to do it with the cold. I'm also thinking that with a gear change, this shouldn't be a problem. I want to go with 4:56 gears front and back with the stock limited slip in the rear. Somewhere down the line I will put a locker front and back, but for now, stock diffs with bigger gears will be the way to go.

Another thing, will I have to change the speedo gear with 4:56's and 33's. I'm just curious.

Thanks

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, thats a new one. I have never heard that before.
icon_bs.gif
Dont listen to that guy. Tires will freeze, you should ask the guy are they filled with water or something??
rolleyes.gif

my family is from northern indiana and i grew up in my dads k1500 blazer with 35's. we hard pretty brutal winters and i never heard of tires feezing, and my dads definitely didnt. i have cousins with 44's in illinois and they have never had tire freeze. the guy's balancer probably wont fit a 33 so he is trying to down sell you.

Yep, I've never heard of that one either, just get whatever you want and don't listen to that tire guy.

Your tire guy is nuts!! Go with the tires you want. You will have to change the speedo gear so that you read the correct mph and mileage on the speedo with the larger tires and gear change.

I know that tires will freeze. I've seen it here before. When its 60-70 below zero, seems everything freezes. I was just wondering if something else would break instead of the tires. I would think they would be the first to go. It was a new one on me too. Ive seen tires shatter, but not other things in the drivetrain from cold. I could see if I had a big block hemmi or something and the tires would not move at all, then maybe a u-joint would bust or something, but that is all I can see.

It is not a rareity to see an average temp of -50 degrees in the winter here in the Fairbanks, AK area. It sucks. I can't wait to get back to Awesome Arizona.

Andy

Oops, I didn't realize you were in Alaska... That makes a huge difference. Either way though I can't help you because in Leadville the coldest I've ever been in is around 45-50 below zero and that was only for like 2 days, well 2 nights anyway.

dito OOPS! i was thinking Ak was Arkansas. wow ive been out of school too long. in my opinion, not based on any facts, if you have tires freeze then tires freeze, you probably have the same chance with a 33 as you would a 31 or a p235 (29"). again no facts, just thoughts.

i do remmeber an article about 4x4 guys in greenland and they all had 44's on toyotas and they get pretty cold up there.

Methinks we're talking two different issues here:

1) The tires themselves freezing as becomming hard and brittle and possible shattering. Size shouldn't make a difference.

2) The tires freezing to the ground. A bigger tire has a bigger footprint and will require more torque to break free (or break something else!)

he could fill the tires with anti freeze :)

The bigger footprint thing makes sense. Also, I like the filling the tires with antifreeze. LOL. I will have to try that one!! I wonder if there is something I can put under the tires to keep them from freezing to the ground. Also, there is a lot of people here with big tires and little trucks, so I should just ask them. My neighbor has a Sizuki Samuri with 33" muds on it. He just had his lift put on this summer, so I should ask him this winter. Makes sense on the footprint thing though. Also you can't set your e-brake because it will freeze locked, and you have to either hit your drums with a hammer or floor it in gear to break them free. It sucks here in winter. I can't wait till I get back to Arizona.

Thanks

Andy

Back