Collision Warning System | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Collision Warning System

So who is going to volunteer to test this out and see if it brakes before they hit the car in front? :)

I can see it now, Cory chimes in and says it isnt supposed to do that and to bring it to the dealer... Dealer then has to try and duplicate the issue lol.

Two days later, dealer calls and says they tried to duplicate it and couldnt so Ex is now totaled and a new Ex is on order. But dont worry, the techs life was saved by the airbags.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Acc was not on. I was merging onto a highway in commuting traffic and accelerating with my foot on the gas. I think Id know if it was the acc. First, the acc doesnt let you travel 2 car lengths behind someone even on its closest setting. Second, I was getting off one highway onto another which requires the brake. Even if acc was on, it could never remain on when on a clover leaf on/off ramps because the brake would cancel it.

I dont care what the manual says, the Ex slammed on the brakes while my foot was on the gas, abs activated and stopped me a couple feet from rear ending the truck in front of me. This happened within a blink of an eye from the warning going off.

Ive had the warning go off 30 plus times and this is the first time it has done this. The difference this time is that I was trying to accelerate at a fast pace.

I know exactly what happened, Im not confused or unclear. Maybe it is my guardian angel, maybe it is MFT lol.. I have no reason to lie about what occured.

I don't think your lying..... We are just a bit confused as everything we've read is that it won't stop automatically..... I think the group is just trying to rule out any other factors that perhaps you hadn't noticed or forgot about (acc, foot "grazing" the brake and activating the pre-charged brakes, etc.....)

I'm hoping that this is an undocumented feature that wasn't included in the manual and advertising because perhaps it was so new and Ford didnt want to incur any liability should the system fail so they have said in the manual that you have to apply the brakes manually, but in reality, the system is designed to brake for you in an emergency.

If true, that would be AWESOME..... a great undiscovered treasure.

I wonder if Corey can enlighten us?

The other interesting tidbit is that the brakes stopped the car to 0 mph, which normally it only slows the car until 15mph then releases the brakes, and you, into the car KNOWINGLY by ACC.

I don't think your lying..... We are just a bit confused as everything we've read is that it won't stop automatically..... I think the group is just trying to rule out any other factors that perhaps you hadn't noticed or forgot about (acc, foot "grazing" the brake and activating the pre-charged brakes, etc.....)

I'm hoping that this is an undocumented feature that wasn't included in the manual and advertising because perhaps it was so new and Ford didnt want to incur any liability should the system fail so they have said in the manual that you have to apply the brakes manually, but in reality, the system is designed to brake for you in an emergency.

If true, that would be AWESOME..... a great undiscovered treasure.

I wonder if Corey can enlighten us?

I was wondering the same thing... Ford doesnt afvertise it to cover their butt incase it doesnt stop fast enough to prevent an accident. I could see the lawsuits now.. I know Volvo has this feature and there are videos all over youtube of it failing and rear ending vehicles. It happened when they were demoing it at an autoshow lmao.

I know the ex slows you down if you are entering a corner too fast so it wouldnt surprise me if this is built in as well secretly.

Cory, Id love to hear from you on this... Is my Ex posessed?

Watching this video, and showing the pedals....an unexpected braking effort by the car seems like it could cause the accelerator to be pressed either out of shock (bracing) or inertia.

so maybe with a tarp or a blanket...we could try to do this on our own.

Acc was not on. I was merging onto a highway in commuting traffic and accelerating with my foot on the gas. I think Id know if it was the acc. First, the acc doesnt let you travel 2 car lengths behind someone even on its closest setting. Second, I was getting off one highway onto another which requires the brake. Even if acc was on, it could never remain on when on a clover leaf on/off ramps because the brake would cancel it.

I dont care what the manual says, the Ex slammed on the brakes while my foot was on the gas, abs activated and stopped me a couple feet from rear ending the truck in front of me. This happened within a blink of an eye from the warning going off.

Ive had the warning go off 30 plus times and this is the first time it has done this. The difference this time is that I was trying to accelerate at a fast pace.

I know exactly what happened, Im not confused or unclear. Maybe it is my guardian angel, maybe it is MFT... I have no reason to lie about what occured.

No one is saying you're blowing smoke (sorry), I'm just quoting what the owners manual says. I don't see how or why it did it, but if you say so.

Hey guys,

The Collision Warning does not brake for you. It provides brake support – that is, it pre-charges the brakes so that when you depress the brake pedal, you have full braking power immediately .The pre-charging may slow the vehicle slightly, but it does not brake.

Cory

Hey guys,

The Collision Warning does not brake for you. It provides brake support – that is, it pre-charges the brakes so that when you depress the brake pedal, you have full braking power immediately .The pre-charging may slow the vehicle slightly, but it does not brake.

Cory

Can you explain why my ex braked and engaged the abs with my foot on the gas?

Can you explain why my ex braked and engaged the abs with my foot on the gas?

Maybe the pre-charging slowing the vehicle slightly, was what you noticed?

Who's going to drive their Ex at a curtain to try this out???

Same Experience as Blwnsmoke

I know exactly what happened, Im not confused or unclear. Maybe it is my guardian angel, maybe it is MFT... I have no reason to lie about what occured.

Hey Blwnsmoke,

I just thought I would let you know that I recently had the same experience as you with the Collision Alarm system. I know many people thought that you must have been mistaken, but you were not.

I have a 2011 EX LTD with 3/16/11 build date. I have had it one year with 16,000 miles.

A few days ago was using the cruise control when it was time to change from one interstate to another. I eliminated the set point by pushing the brake in order to maneuver the cloverleaf. The on ramp to the new interstate was longer than normal. As I approached the new interstate, I also was coming up behind a tractor trailer. I was not gaining on it particularly quickly, but when I got within about 1.5 car lengths the collision light and alarm sounded and the car braked itself very hard for about a second. I think it was the brake rather than the motor because I felt pulsing like the ABS system. My foot was not on the brake pedal when this occurred. This is the only time that this has ever happened.

I thought you would like to know that you are not crazy, or else there are two of us!

Hey Blwnsmoke,

I just thought I would let you know that I recently had the same experience as you with the Collision Alarm system. I know many people thought that you must have been mistaken, but you were not.

I have a 2011 EX LTD with 3/16/11 build date. I have had it one year with 16,000 miles.

A few days ago was using the cruise control when it was time to change from one interstate to another. I eliminated the set point by pushing the brake in order to maneuver the cloverleaf. The on ramp to the new interstate was longer than normal. As I approached the new interstate, I also was coming up behind a tractor trailer. I was not gaining on it particularly quickly, but when I got within about 1.5 car lengths the collision light and alarm sounded and the car braked itself very hard for about a second. I think it was the brake rather than the motor because I felt pulsing like the ABS system. My foot was not on the brake pedal when this occurred. This is the only time that this has ever happened.

I thought you would like to know that you are not crazy, or else there are two of us!
Were you by any chance already slowing down? Mine downshfts at 60 kmph (40 mph) and I wonder if that may have happened at the same time the warning alrm sounded. It would not, however, explain the pulsing you felt. Very strange.

Peter

Does anyone else think maybe the machines are learning so that one day they'll take over the world? Think about it, President Explorer LTD... hahaha

Were you by any chance already slowing down? Mine downshfts at 60 kmph (40 mph) and I wonder if that may have happened at the same time the warning alrm sounded. It would not, however, explain the pulsing you felt. Very strange.

Peter

I may have taken my foot off of the accelerator, but I was not pushing on the brake at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not alone, I experienced this same issue, living Calif, there are plenty of stupid people on the road. I was merging to get on the freeway, accelerating thru 60mph, when a car ( from the middle lane) cut across the nose of the Ex. There was about 1 car length between us at that point, the warning system did its thing and the Ex braked hard, my foot was not on the brake at all.

Back