Compatible LED rear brake/turn signal bulb? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compatible LED rear brake/turn signal bulb?

Stynx

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT Sport
Can anyone point me toward nice bright LED replacement bulbs for the rear brake lights and turn signals? On a recent trip to ny I had half a dozen people slam their brakes to avoid rear ending me in heavy traffic and I want every possible advantage. I bought some generic red LEDs that fit but they cause hyperflash. Is there a direct replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't buy RED LED's to put behind Red filtered covers. Get the 6000K bright white ones that say that they are Canbus compatible.
The Red lenses will turn the white to red and still be brighter.

Amazon product ASIN B06XVT9D1W
Or these if you want the brake lights to flash at the people behind you but not on your dash.

Amazon product ASIN B07F9JXWT2

Don't buy RED LED's to put behind Red filtered covers. Get the 6000K bright white ones that say that they are Canbus compatible.
The Red lenses will turn the white to red and still be brighter.

Amazon product ASIN B06XVT9D1W
Or these if you want the brake lights to flash at the people behind you but not on your dash.

Amazon product ASIN B07F9JXWT2
This is misinformation. Red LEDs will have almost all the light shining through the lens to see, while 6000K cold white LED will have only a small fraction of the light making it through the lens. This has been discussed before on several automotive forums, or found with a google search... what color LED brake lights - Google Search

If the lights you choose are not compatible with the stock, incandescent flasher then you can get compatible bulbs or replace the flasher with an LED flasher. Since some of the LED bulbs are short lived and you may end up trying different brands till you find some that work long term, it would probably be better to just go ahead and get the LED flasher module.

On a recent trip to ny I had half a dozen people slam their brakes to avoid rear ending me in heavy traffic ...

If it's happening in heavy traffic it will probably continue to happen because brighter tail lights can't fix stupid drivers who aren't paying attention to the road, fiddling on their phone or with their dash screen instead.

If it's happening in heavy traffic it will probably continue to happen because brighter tail lights can't fix stupid drivers who aren't paying attention to the road, fiddling on their phone or with their dash screen instead.
Like I said, I'm looking for any edge I can get against the stupid drivers you mention. Any links to bulbs that would work?

^ The way a different bulb would work with the existing flasher is if it pulls a lot more current, because the forward drop (heat) in the old style mechanical flasher is what makes them toggle on and off. If the bulb were designed to draw the extra current unnecessarily (besides combatting this issue) that current would be converted to heat AT the bulb, which is something an incan bulb can tolerate more of while an LED bulb needs to stay cooler for good lifespan.

You can create the extra load for that with your existing bulbs by just putting a ballast resistor in parallel on the wiring to the bulbs, same as people do to get rid of the bulb-out warning messages on vehicles switched to LED and equipped with a bulb-out detection feature, or to just solve hyperflash, get an LED compatible flasher module. They work on a timer IC rather than current toggling on/off state so don't depend on how much load the bulbs are. The LED compatible flasher module is the best option.

There are bulbs with the built in resistor, some have a fan added, some have a time-out IC to keep them from flashing for long so they don't overheat as badly. I've also seen a few with a separate ballast resistor on the wiring pigtail to them and you mount the resistor on metal to heatsink it... with some thermal compound aka heatsink grease, and ideally, not an exterior painted metal as the heat can damage paint.

You can search for "red turn signal no hyper flash resistor" or something like that, but I have not tested any of them in a 3rd gen. Explorer so can't recommend one specifically. I'd be hesitant to do so anyway because I doubt any will have as long a lifespan as a standard long life, incan bulb. Bulbs that fail before you realize it, so don't work at all are probably worse than dimmer bulbs. ;)

New incandescent bulbs should be brighter than old ones in any case.

New incandescent bulbs should be brighter than old ones in any case.

leaning this way. all of the led's are either fifty bucks with a built in resistor or need an external resistor that gets so hot it melts plastic. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to wire in a device hot enough to melt plastic.

Back