• Register Today It's free!

complete interior led conversion

guitarfrk741

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4.0
well the other day i finished changing some of the leds inside my mounty and now every light on my interior is blue..with the exception of the led on the rear view mirror (if anyone even knows its there)

so now the following are all blue:
ac controls
window/lock switches (front and back)
headlight controls (with an added red led behind the fog symbol that comes on with my kc's on my bull bar)
lit up the foot area with cold cathode bars
steering wheel controls (pita)
puddle lights under mirrors on outside
and last but not least....speedo/tach etc guages :D

i know its useless without pics but by the end of the night or tomorrow ill put em up...right now i have mono and have a crapload of makeup stuff to do for school..just had to take a little break

EDIT
found some old pics of ac controls
and custom switch panel
IMG_0074.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I've thought about doing this, but to switch them all just seemed like way too big of a job. How long did it take? How expensive? Where did you get the stuff? Mind doing a full write-up some time after you get to feeling better?

ha well i did the ac controls and puddle lights a while back and got around to the rest last week..

for time id say :
ac controls -
prob at least an hour or so ..it was just hard bc the voltage of the leds in it (surface mount) is 2v which is nearly impossible to find in a blue aftermarket led ..so i drilled a hole in the back of each button and ran a 12v source for the leds and taped over the stock ones ..ill try and get some pics..its really tricky to get the buttons to push in right after though and takes ALOT of tinkering till it works
note this was for the digital ac control..if i had to guess the dials of the other kind would be really easy compared to mine

window/locks
45 min - an hour for all of them.. all of them except the drivers door are really simple.. i just swapped out the leds and swapped in the correct resistor when needed.

headlight controls
20 min - just had to take it apart and swap out the incandecent light with a green cover (which was 6v if i remember right) for 2 leds in series

then for the fog light it was a simple led/resistor swap

steering wheel controls
30-45 min.
realllly tricky i actually had to drill holes through the pcb and slide leds in them as there is no room to put them on top of the pcb and the voltage of the current lights is off too much...ran 12v from a pin on the connector

speedo etc
ok the big one everyone always wants to change..
prob took a few hours but no more than 4 id say ( i did it over two days)
i had to take the needles off the guages and pry off the guage face which is one peice and glued down.
now the lights of the speedo are white its a tint that makes the numbers green...so i took a sander and sanded down the green parts (but left the red ones ) to make em clear. then i replaced the lights behind the speedo with a led/resistor (they are 12v)
now i got an uneven distribution of light which i fixed a little with som etape but its still a litttle noticeable..im eventually gonna try and put some blue film behind them to even out light distribution...but it still looks better than the green i think.

i know all this sounds like a bunch of gibberish but its easier to explain with pictures...maybe ill take it all apart again when im off next week and do a writeup

Well done. I've bought some blue digital gauges, so I need to watch and learn how to do some of this. Regards,

maybe i can get all that stuff shipped over to iraq and do it over there. im interested in a write up. id like to do everything you did. looks sick!!! or maybe you can run a service and ill pay you to do mine haha. i want blue also

maybe i can get all that stuff shipped over to iraq and do it over there. im interested in a write up. id like to do everything you did. looks sick!!! or maybe you can run a service and ill pay you to do mine haha. i want blue also

ha i was actually just thinking about doing that bc of how hard it is to explain

sounds like you did quite the job guitarfrk741, any pics of the truck inside and out??

dicided to go snap some pics with my phone so here she goes...for some reason they look more white than blue but thats the pictures...theyre actually a reallllly nice deep blue
IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

lights with kcs off
IMG_0109.jpg

with kcs on
IMG_0114.jpg

(with just fogs on its a blue led)

ill try and use a better camera so you can see the blue better

also debating whether or not to put blue leds in the air vents and door handle pockets

well if you wanna do it ill have my bro send them to you just pm me a price. i could only do the window ones for now cuz my brother would have to remove them and he isnt mechanically able to pull the dash apart.

wow, that is bad ass dude, you must do a write some day for us!

looks good keep up good work

I'm hoping to do my Ex with all LED lighting at some point, as soon as i get rich! lol
I'll definitely do a write-up with lot's of pics

I'm hoping to do my Ex with all LED lighting at some point, as soon as i get rich! lol
I'll definitely do a write-up with lot's of pics

it really wasnt expensive at all ...maybe about 20$ total for the whole car and i still have about 70 leds left over

If I go the e-bay route i can get it done for about the same price, give or take. Found an ebayer that is selling 5pairs of blue inverted wedge 194"'s for the gauge cluster lights for $10 .ebay.com

If I go the e-bay route i can get it done for about the same price, give or take. Found an ebayer that is selling 5pairs of blue inverted wedge 194"'s for the gauge cluster lights for $10 .ebay.com

yeah ive been meaning to order some of those ...i actually just used 3mm leds in place of the existing 194's in the cluster..i have a feeling those wedge 194's would give it a better look

i was even looking at these to help get a more even light distribution

well a little bit of an update ..i got some spare time today so i changed my dome lights out to blue led's and damn theyre bright now....and blue haha..

ill grab some pics later

WOW. Looks great! May have to do that to mine. I despise the stupid green lights all over mine.

Man you have to a write up about this. I hate the green lights on my X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back