Complete positive side battery/charging/starter cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete positive side battery/charging/starter cable

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
I need to replace my positive battery/charging/starter cable. Obviously if you’ve looked for these you know ford no longer carries them. Rock auto has a Deka listing but it’s out of stock. Probably permanently. So, anyone have a suggestion?

Ive been contemplating just building my own but I’d need specific length fusible links. I know the factory cable wire is 4ga so I’d need 8ga for my fusible links but I’m not certain on what the length the fusible link wire should be. My research shows that 8ga fusible link wire is 8mm wire. That seems to be hard to find. So what’s the word? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my old cable in to an auto electric shop. They just made a new one while I waited, no problem. And it was very affordable.

Good luck.

I took my old cable in to an auto electric shop. They just made a new one while I waited, no problem. And it was very affordable.

Good luck.
Hmm. I’ll have to ask around to some alternator rebuild shops near me. I’m not sure if they do this.

Another option is a plow shop. At least 2 of the plow install places here make both custom heavy cables and hoses in house. Welding supply houses and old school audio shops also typically have the tools to crimp heavy lugs on big cables.

Ditto, have a new cable made locally. Use a larger than stock size, such as 2ga instead of 4ga., and even better if you can find a place that has welding cable(same sizes but the conductors are much smaller(more)). Be sure they are crimped very well, plus sealed at the ends to keep moisture out(corrosion).

Ditto, have a new cable made locally. Use a larger than stock size, such as 2ga instead of 4ga., and even better if you can find a place that has welding cable(same sizes but the conductors are much smaller(more)). Be sure they are crimped very well, plus sealed at the ends to keep moisture out(corrosion).
I can make my own cables. I have the tools to crimp heavy gauge wire and all of the heat shrink And terminal ends. The real issue here is having fusible links in the runs from the battery and alt.

There are no fusible links in the late 90's Fords, thankfully they finally did away with those. They use simple normal wires, all circuits are protected with fuses.

There are no fusible links in the late 90's Fords, thankfully they finally did away with those. They use simple normal wires, all circuits are protected with fuses.
Where’s the fuse on the wire from the battery to starter and alternator? Is that the fuse on the drivers side fender?

I don’t believe there was ever a starter fuse. The wire between the battery and alternator. Used to have fusible links. There are a million bolt/crimp on fuse links. If you can crimp 2awg, I’d just make them.

Where’s the fuse on the wire from the battery to starter and alternator? Is that the fuse on the drivers side fender?
There are a couple of rare exceptions, the starter power cable is one, and the brake sensor unfortunately was also direct current to the sensor. That brake sensor wire caused fires when the sensor failed and bled brake fluid out onto the wire in rare cases, thus the recall which installed a fuse inline to that sensor. The starter wire is hot all the time, the trigger wire is accepted to be the protection method. The alternator wire goes to the large fused terminal on the PDB.

There are a couple of rare exceptions, the starter power cable is one, and the brake sensor unfortunately was also direct current to the sensor. That brake sensor wire caused fires when the sensor failed and bled brake fluid out onto the wire in rare cases, thus the recall which installed a fuse inline to that sensor. The starter wire is hot all the time, the trigger wire is accepted to be the protection method. The alternator wire goes to the large fused terminal on the PDB.
So it’s safe to just rebuild the whole harness from battery to starter and alternator to the PDB with no fusible link then?

Yes, just carefully make the new ones the same length and keep them from the exhaust of course. I made an additional cable for my 99's alternator when I installed a 220a unit. I think I used 8-10ga and didn't remove the old one, I just added the new one to run along the other stock cable. If you did that be sure the new one is as large as the old one.

Alternator wire.JPG

My plan is to build a new complete harness to replace the old harness with. Someone in the past replaced the battery cables with some crappy extension cables with a junky connector and occassionally My X will just click the solenoid when trying to start and if I just shake the + battery cable, it starts. I know the OEM cables are all corroded under the insulation. I saved the harness from my last X before I scrapped it to use it to model a replacement harness. I was thinking of using 0ga but 2 ga will probably be sufficient.

That's a wise plan. I had a spare 98 starter harness from 2000 when I bought some left over parts from a friend who bought an entire 98 302 engine. I chose to use that one in my old 91 Mark VII. The battery and starter cables worked great, but the AC wiring was nothing like the older models. My Lincolns are very hard on battery cables, I replaced it on two of my last Mark VII's. The factory harness works great.

I need to replace my positive battery/charging/starter cable. Obviously if you’ve looked for these you know ford no longer carries them. Rock auto has a Deka listing but it’s out of stock. Probably permanently. So, anyone have a suggestion?

Ive been contemplating just building my own but I’d need specific length fusible links. I know the factory cable wire is 4ga so I’d need 8ga for my fusible links but I’m not certain on what the length the fusible link wire should be. My research shows that 8ga fusible link wire is 8mm wire. That seems to be hard to find. So what’s the word? Any suggestions?
As a former electrician I can tell you that what you need is at any Electrical Supply store for electricians. Just bring in the cable and they will give you what you need!

As a former electrician I can tell you that what you need is at any Electrical Supply store for electricians. Just bring in the cable and they will give you what you need!
Nothing like a real electrical supply house.

I don't have a large crimper so I put the lug ends in a vice heat them up with the blowtorch
then fill it with solder plunge the wire into the lug

I don't have a large crimper so I put the lug ends in a vice heat them up with the blowtorch
then fill it with solder plunge to the wire done
You might find it hard to believe but some electrical supply houses, if they aren't busy, will do it for you with their tools and you know it is done right!

Hello according to my local dealer the part number you are looking for is Motorcraft WC9451H this is the entire charging system harness

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back