Key Fob Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Issues

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT which was purchased in January 2013. Recently, BOTH key fobs have stopped working (won't lock/unlock doors/won't open power liftgate)...

I have had the same issue. I've found that it now takes a press and hold of the fob button for several seconds for it to work now...

So I have had my car now for 15 months. In that time I have had to replace the keyfob batteries 3 times...

Hi everyone,

I recommend mentioning your key fob concerns to your dealerships so they can check things out. Additionally, I'm here to do what I can to help; send me your details in a PM and I'll get to work. I'll need your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have had my car now for 15 months. In that time I have had to replace the keyfob batteries 3 times. Unfortunately I can never find the batteries anywhere locally (walmart, cvs, walgreens, rite aid, etc.). I have to order them off of amazon every time
Do you have the IA key fob? I have had mine for just over 2 1/2 years and am still on the original battery. My battery is a CR2032 and is readily available at the local hardware and drug stores.

Peter

Same as Peter, I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and both are on original batteries.

I keep mine in my pocket most of the day...that could explain shorter battery times (if something is pressing a button in my pocket, etc.)

I really hate the keyfob...it is way too big and the panic button is too easy to press

I keep mine in my pocket most of the day...that could explain shorter battery times (if something is pressing a button in my pocket, etc.)

I really hate the keyfob...it is way too big and the panic button is too easy to press
Well I guess you won't have to worry about for much longer.;):thumbsup:

Peter

Oh I haven't seen my new car's keyfob yet...it could be worse!

Great! Now besides the key fob issues, the touch pad operates intermittently. It makes up for when it doesn't work by locking and unlocking the doors 4 to 5 times in a row!

Pull the battery out. wipe off the liquid/jelly like substance from the battery and the contacts. This is a normal occurrence. It has happened to all my keyfobs from different cars over the years.

The jelly is supposed to help conductivity and repels moisture.
Its found in many electronics and also-when replacing analog light bulbs in cars, they recommend smearing bulb jelly (sold separately) all around the metal contact end before installing the bulb. But in small electronics, it only takes a tiny amount on the contact area.

Last edited:

The jelly is supposed to help conductivity and repels moisture.
Its found in many electronics and also-when replacing analog light bulbs in cars, they recommend smearing bulb jelly (sold separately) all around the metal contact end before installing the bulb. But in small electronics, it only takes a tiny amount on the contact area.
That is absolutely correct. The manual actually states to be careful that you don't wipe the grease off.

Note: Do not wipe off any grease on the battery terminals or on the
back surface of the circuit board.

Peter

A change of the battery seems to have fixed my problem. Even the spare acted funky and I changed that as well. I'm surprised that after two years the batteries were done ...... especially the spare, which I don't even use. Glad it corrected the problem as it would react after the third or fourth try and that being as close as two or three feet away from the truck. It now opens across a parking lot!

Key fob and keyhole

I went to the dealer yesterday to look at a similar car to the one I ordered. They had a limited with keyless entry, one that comes with the key fob.

I have this currently on my escape. Exact same looking fob. On the escape there is no keyhole on the door handle. On the explorer there is.

So, why is there a keyhole on the explorers that use a keyfob that has no key?

What am I missing?

KeyFob and Hazards

Hi Guys
First time poster. And like many first timers I need help, though I plan to visit back often and not make this a one night stand.
I picked up my new (used) Explorer last night from a used dealership. 2012 Limited. Every option possible.
My issue that maybe you can help me with. I never tested the key fobs because who really thinks to test them. I got in, drove it and bought it.

They are supposed to work from your pocket to unlock the doors but it seems I need to hold mine right up to the handle to function.
Also the lock/unlock/remote start/truck buttons don't always work... When they do decide to work I am within 5 feet of the car.
I thought it could have been the batteries so I bought and installed new ones (logical solution) but that didn't work...
I am stumped... I was trying to avoid going to a Ford dealership for fear of them telling me that my new truck needed two new fobs at $300 each. Oh yeah forgot to mention this happens with BOTH fobs. Both with fresh batteries.
Here is a quick video I made of the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybJ8z4kOMc

Another issue is when I try and turn on my hazards they don't turn on but rather the CD ejects...

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jay

Another issue is when I try and turn on my hazards they don't turn on but rather the CD ejects...
Cool- a new undocumented feature!

:D
Just kidding.

Sometimes the electronics just lose their mind. I'd try resetting them by disconnecting/reconnecting the negative battery cable. Give it a minute or two for the electronics to reset. See if that fixes it.

Does it happen everywhere? In the same place? There can be localized electronic interference from radio transmitters. Not as common these days, but I've had it happen with an older Explorer. The key fob never worked in the parking lot of one store. Lots of antennas nearby.

I had a similar issue with my XLT. Replaced the remote batteries and that didn't help. Resetting the electronics by disconnecting the vehicle battery fixed it, but then it reoccurred. A couple weeks later, the vehicle battery failed. Replaced the vehicle battery and no problems since.

You don't say how many miles are on the vehicle, unless it's over the mileage limit, Ford should cover a 2012 under warranty. And even if it's over the mileage limit, Ford extended the MFT warranty to 5 years unlimited miles, so they should still fix the CD ejection problem at no cost since that's part of the entertainment portion of MFT.

Good luck

Thanks DCO. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a bit and see if that works. The fob issues happens everywhere not just in one spot. And my truck has 71,000km (45,000miles?)

Update. The battery disconnect solved the keyfob issue but not the hazard button ejecting the cd.

Welcome to the Forum musicman21.:wavey:
One thing you should not do when replacing the battery in the fob is to wipe of the grease that is there. That is also mentioned on page 140 of your Owner's Guide. One member had his battery replaced and the person who did it thought he would be nice and cleaned off the grease. Fob then wouldn't work.

As per my PM, I have also merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Hi Guys
First time poster. And like many first timers I need help, ...
They are supposed to work from your pocket to unlock the doors but it seems I need to hold mine right up to the handle to function.
Also the lock/unlock/remote start/truck buttons don't always work... When they do decide to work I am within 5 feet of the car. ... I am stumped...

Update. The battery disconnect solved the keyfob issue but not the hazard button ejecting the cd.

Welcome to the forum, musicman21! Thanks for reaching out about this. I'm the resident Ford of Canada Customer Service representative and am happy to help with this.

Have you been to your local dealer for the unresolved hazard light/CD ejector issue? I suggest bringing it in for diagnosis. Also, send me a PM with your full name, VIN, dealership information, and best daytime contact number.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back