Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

Then how is it the windshield? Ac etc comes from that area. It doesn't make sense. This is an intermittent issue from what I've heard. Its premature to say that whatever was fixed on your trim solved it.
If you have a leak somewhere you can end up with some bizarre happenings. A poorly sealed windshield might pull gas into the cabin from elsewhere, not at all related to the windshield area.
I did everything before for more than 2 years now. Whatever it is or if the windshield seal and new moldings fixed the issue I’m happy. I gave up long time ago 3 dealership tried to fix the issue.
I was able to take a picture of the cowl grille but not the moldings and side trims.
Maybe my old windshield was leaking from the bottom or base. Now i have a new windshield and new sealant it stopped the fume from getting inside the cabin.
2-3 years old explorer’s rubber trims look like this :
FAB70071-4E70-41A2-B054-5C20ECDD85A0.jpeg
8D125078-5840-4A20-92B5-B97C29EE3AA1.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a leak somewhere you can end up with some bizarre happenings. A poorly sealed windshield might pull gas into the cabin from elsewhere, not at all related to the windshield area.
You'd likely get water as well. Had a bad windshield seal in my 2006 Freestyle. Water came in at the carwash.
Still would come in through the ac vents...

We have a very similar problem with our 2013 Explorer Sport, however, the issue we have is that it smells like raw fuel at idle just after starting it, or idling at a stop light, or whereve and nearly makes us sick. We've had ford replace the rear hatch seal and also do the TSB on sealing the rear vent area, but its still horrible. Smells like very rich exhaust or raw fuel. Ford cant find anything wrong. It only started doing this when it got cold last year, but has now persisted. We have 165k miles on the car.

Get a meter and record your levels in the cab and under the hood and behind the vehicle.

May i ask to stick this thread to confirm from other members if they want to check their Explorers by sealing the rubber and covering the fresh air intake to confirm this ?
Black Eyed, I just now found this. It December 4, 2021. I have an 18 XLT. I love this car! It had an exhaust leak into the cabin since new, under hard acceleration. The dealer had it a week and almost entirely eliminated it. It’s still a little noticeable at times. Our service guy said they took part of the rear apart and resealed some areas. I’m not sure if I’ll have more work done to it as it’s very intermittent now. Now, though, both reverse backup lights are out? I’m wondering if, since there has to be a Y somewhere to get both lights on, is it possible it was pinched somewhere and took a year plus to go to ground? Owners manual makes reference to “back up”, once for fuse number 81? It’s good.
I have an extended B to B warranty and I’m taking it back to the dealer in a week or so.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks, bill

Hi Bill. Depending upon what they find, it may or may not be covered under the warranty. If it could be traced back to the previous repair then it should be covered. If not, then it may depend upon what the issue is.

Peter

Hello.

Yes, It's true and confirmed at least on two Explorers has this issue including mine.

After My dealer did TSB in 2016, i didn't notice the smell then it's back again. i tried to seal everything in the back of my Ex and no improvement.

So i had this idea and I posted this before

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

and since then this idea never left my mind so what i did is i sealed the hood rubber with silicon filler underneath the rubber " all of it"

View attachment 419571

and BOOM. i was shocked i would say 92% of the smell has gone ! but i had to confirm it

so i posted this.

And Mr

Manuel Garcia

Was ready to confirm my theory, he never done any TSB with the dealer and he was facing this issue a lot and the smell was very vey bad. so he sealed the engine rubber and guess what ? Yes it worked for him too.

Almost the smell has gone. then we tried another thing, covering the fresh air intake with duct tape and it also worked even better than the silicon. but this is not a solution, we can't keep the duct tape covering the fresh air intake.

Now lets explain this issue, basically there are two issues.

1.Exhaust Leak from the engine side that will not appear unless there is a hard acceleration.
2. Fresh Air Intake leaks.

and what happen is while acceleration the engine bay gets filled by exhaust odors and the odors finds a way to leak inside cabin through Fresh Air intake.
So anyone want to confirm this go ahead and cover your fresh air intake with duct tape

View attachment 419572

then go for a ride and try

Careful: the duct tape is not a solution, only to confirm this leak, when you use the duct tape don't run the A\C on non circulation that might damage the A\C fan.

To solve this issue permanently, The whole Fresh Air intake plastic peace need to be take off then seal every whole in it from the engine side and seal the hood rubber with silicon . but for now the silicon is working fine.
Hi.

Where exactly is that air intake located in 5th generation Explorer?

1647438211137.png

Can you please tell me where is it? Clearly not where OP said it is.
I wasn’t following and thought you meant the air intake for the motor. I’m not sure where the cabin air intake is. The cabin air filter is changed through the glovebox, you could probably follow it from there.

Check This

Check This
Thanks. Are these photos of your 2017 explorer fresh air intake being sealed?

I searched everywhere and could not find clear photos of that intake location and steps needed to reach it. All search results are about replacing the cabin air filter from behind the glove box :confused:

I'm in the same boat, where is the fresh air intake located? It's not where the OP references

I recently had a similar issue and I attributed it to a "spent" PCV. I replaced the PCV, did a quick tuneup and cleaned up the Intake manifold. The smell no longer come through the vents.

I recently had a similar issue and I attributed it to a "spent" PCV. I replaced the PCV, did a quick tuneup and cleaned up the Intake manifold. The smell no longer come through the vents.

I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

I found a PCV on OReilly Auto Parts made by Motorcraft for $6.29 to replace as you mentioned. Can you provide more detail on what you did on the tune-up and cleaning the intake manifold? Need to figure what I can do, and what items I should take to a repair shop. Thank you for your post.
PS. Realize that I tried to squirt grease into the brake bleeder fitting thinking it was a Zerk fitting, so type slowwwwly.

I found a PCV on OReilly Auto Parts made by Motorcraft for $6.29 to replace as you mentioned. Can you provide more detail on what you did on the tune-up and cleaning the intake manifold? Need to figure what I can do, and what items I should take to a repair shop. Thank you for your post.
PS. Realize that I tried to squirt grease into the brake bleeder fitting thinking it was a Zerk fitting, so type slowwwwly.
For tune-up I just:
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced ignition coil boots
Replaced alternator belt

While I was on the backside of the engine I swapped out the PCV as well.

I apologize I misspoke about cleaning the intake manifold. I meant cleaned the throttle body and just wiped the intake manifold off with blue shop towels.

All this was diy for sure.

How is exhaust from the rear coming to the windshield in front? How do you know was defective to start? Sorry just doesn't make sense to me.
After 2 years of smelling exhaust fumes inside the cabin I finally found the solution for the exhaust fume inside the cabin.
I opened the rear door/trunks I saw a hole on the right top of the body going directly to the air duct
Inside for the A/C. I plugged it with 3M black super weather strip and gasket and gasket adhesive. I pulled the 2 tail lights out and found out the left rubber seal that is connected to the tail light wires were leaking and I Applied sealant.
I also found out that some rubber seals around the door does not seal well and moves around. I applied rubber sealant on all 4 doors directly.
I have been testing it for 1 week now with high speed acceleration and found out that I have fixed the exhaust fume issue 100%.
I am posting this for other explorer owners to know the source and solution of the exhaust fume inside the cabin issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After 2 years of smelling exhaust fumes inside the cabin I finally found the solution for the exhaust fume inside the cabin.
I opened the rear door/trunks I saw a hole on the right top of the body going directly to the air duct
Inside for the A/C. I plugged it with 3M black super weather strip and gasket and gasket adhesive. I pulled the 2 tail lights out and found out the left rubber seal that is connected to the tail light wires were leaking and I Applied sealant.
I also found out that some rubber seals around the door does not seal well and moves around. I applied rubber sealant on all 4 doors directly.
I have been testing it for 1 week now with high speed acceleration and found out that I have fixed the exhaust fume issue 100%.
I am posting this for other explorer owners to know the source and solution of the exhaust fume inside the cabin issue.
How about sharing a photo

Back