• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
If it is coming in from the front, check for any cracks in the manifold, as others have mentioned. Good luck Ryan.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
If it is coming in from the front, check for any cracks in the manifold, as others have mentioned. Good luck Ryan.

Peter
It seems like the exhaust smell is coming from the rear a/c because when I turn off the rear a/c the smell significantly decreases.
But I will start spraying soapy mixture from tail pipe to the manifold if I can reach the manifold from the engine bay.
Thanks Peter

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
Keep in mind that the majority of Explorers likely don't have this issue. Neither of mine did.

Peter
I just got my Explorer from Ford dealer after 2 weeks for exhaust fume issue, they said they tested and they said they could not duplicate the issue and tested the Fuel trims and it came out OK, the Ford hotline helped out and said the catalytic converter was designed to have rotten egg and sulfur smell. They said the Fuel trim, Catalytic converter were within FORD specs and they can't replace the Catalytic converter because accede to them it was normal. I've had enough, Im going to start looking for a replacement starting this week. Maybe a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander to save my family from getting exposed from cancer causing exhaust fumes.
Don't know what to do and what to say when they said it s normal to smell sulfur and rotten egg with ford explorer catalytic converter.

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited

Peter
I'll try to check the manifold this weekend and check for leaks. If there is no leak Bye bye ford explorer, before my family gets sick....

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I just got my Explorer from Ford dealer after 2 weeks for exhaust fume issue, they said they tested and they said they could not duplicate the issue and tested the Fuel trims and it came out OK, the Ford hotline helped out and said the catalytic converter was designed to have rotten egg and sulfur smell. They said the Fuel trim, Catalytic converter were within FORD specs and they can't replace the Catalytic converter because accede to them it was normal. I've had enough, Im going to start looking for a replacement starting this week. Maybe a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander to save my family from getting exposed from cancer causing exhaust fumes.
Don't know what to do and what to say when they said it s normal to smell sulfur and rotten egg with ford explorer catalytic converter.
The catalytic converters is not DESIGNED to emit a sulfur smell, it’s how the technology functions. It also means too much raw fuel is getting into it.

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
The catalytic converters is not DESIGNED to emit a sulfur smell, it’s how the technology functions. It also means too much raw fuel is getting into it.
What so you mean? Do i need to replace the Catalytic converter or tune the engine fuel management? Any suggestions? I just checked rhe trade in value and I will get hit hard if i trade it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
It’s dumping too much unburnt fuel, OR the catalytic converters is damaged and can’t burn it off. It shouldn’t have enough unburned fuel to really stink, under normal circumstances. I’d find a new dealer.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
What so you mean? Do i need to replace the Catalytic converter or tune the engine fuel management? Any suggestions? I just checked rhe trade in value and I will get hit hard if i trade it.
Quite ofter the "rotten egg" or "sulphur" smell will sometimes occur after a hard acceleration and should only last a very short time. That type of odour will not be entering from the front since it exits via the exhaust pipe. I've noticed it occasionally come in through the vent when following a vehicle.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. ... Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator.

Peter

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
It’s dumping too much unburnt fuel, OR the catalytic converters is damaged and can’t burn it off. It shouldn’t have enough unburned fuel to really stink, under normal circumstances. I’d find a new dealer.
Thanks I am working on reporting the dealer for refusing to replace the Catalytic converter. Warranty should cover 8 yrs or 80,000 miles. They kept it since may 8 to may 21, 2020. All they had to say is it is within normal sulfur and rotten smell ford level . Ford designed it that way. Fuel trim was good. They said they could not duplicate the Issue.

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
Quite ofter the "rotten egg" or "sulphur" smell will sometimes occur after a hard acceleration and should only last a very short time. That type of odour will not be entering from the front since it exits via the exhaust pipe. I've noticed it occasionally come in through the vent when following a vehicle.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. ... Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator.

Peter
Thank you for clarifying. I get it now.

jerraz

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I have had the exhaust smell since buying my 2018 EX in Nov.2018, I've also been to the dealer many times. They have test driven it with me and confirm the exhaust smell while accelerating and they(Dealer) just tell me its a known issue with no fix. I try not to accelerate to hard. I thought I had a fix when i discovered overfilled oil,but that wasnt the fix. I cant find an exhaust leak but it must be there.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
I tried to no avail several times.
They are tough.... They even kept my suv for 2 weeks and ended up the same results. As if they tried for 2 weeks. If they replaced the catalytic converter most likely the sulfur odor will go away. They dont want to pull the trigger( 8 yrs or 80,000 miles warranty) You are not alone with this issue and i have been going back to the dealership multiple times too... They know what they are doing. We end up selling out suv or get sick from the exhaust fume. They need thousands of complaint before they issue a fix or recall. I might end up paying for the labor and parts if the dealer still refuse to replace my catalytic converter. Then I will ask an expert to analyze the replaced catalytic converter and try to submit it to Ford for reimbursement. Health is more important to me.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
We need to do something about this together if you like? Write a letter describing the same issues. What a coincidence....
I have an Aviator as shown in my profile and no issue. All US gasoline must have an average sulphur content of 10ppm. Have you tried changing gasoline brands? Some gas may have a slightly lower sulphur content than others.

Peter

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
I have an Aviator as shown in my profile and no issue. All US gasoline must have an average sulphur content of 10ppm. Have you tried changing gasoline brands? Some gas may have a slightly lower sulphur content than others.

Peter
I have tried all the other gasoline stations but it did not matter. I just hate the fact that when i drive it and my wife it acts up. When the dealer try to duplicate the issue they said it was not there.I am guessing my 2018 is using the same defective parts that they used for the 2012-2017 models.
In this forum alone 2 Exact 2018 models have the same sulfur issues. I just wish ford can just use the warranty to possibly correct the sulfur issue.
$546 worth of parts catalytic
$700 labor 4hrs worth This is how much it will cost me if they just ignore the sulfur issue. I called the same dealer in long beach Caruso. I guess the warranty is just there for the manual to read.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I have tried all the other gasoline stations but it did not matter. I just hate the fact that when i drive it and my wife it acts up. When the dealer try to duplicate the issue they said it was not there.I am guessing my 2018 is using the same defective parts that they used for the 2012-2017 models.
In this forum alone 2 Exact 2018 models have the same sulfur issues. I just wish ford can just use the warranty to possibly correct the sulfur issue.
$546 worth of parts catalytic
$700 labor 4hrs worth This is how much it will cost me if they just ignore the sulfur issue. I called the same dealer in long beach Caruso. I guess the warranty is just there for the manual to read.
That labor price seems extreme. A reputable independent exhaust shop would be much more affordable.

I’d be a shame if someone happened to crawl under your car when you were sleeping, removed an o2 sensor and ruined the catalyst waffle with a screwdriver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
That labor price seems extreme. A reputable independent exhaust shop would be much more affordable.

I’d be a shame if someone happened to crawl under your car when you were sleeping, removed an o2 sensor and ruined the catalyst waffle with a screwdriver.
You mean people would do that just to ruin the waffle from the catalytic? Explorer’s catalytic are near the engine bay and it would not be easy to ruin it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rick Chrysler confirmed Hellcat engine will go into Grand Cherokee Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
V Very scary and confirmed the sport was in park the whole time. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
N Confirmed wi-fi set-ups Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
B Exhaust weep hole Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
deewan Quick Question for exhaust noise Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
J Liquid Leaking from exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
N Bad Exhaust/Propane Smell coming from vents... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
J 2013 limited front exhaust pipe break (by flex joint), what to do... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
D 2017 Ford Explorer Sport stock exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
A 2019 Explorer XLT without exhaust tips Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 57
Jon M Foul odor (not exhaust related) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R Apparent Exhaust Leak and Gasket/Manifold Replacement Questions Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
T 2016 Explorer exhaust leak Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
B 2014 Exhaust Fumes in me? A different exhaust question for people Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Difference in 3.5L exhaust manifolds Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
K CANADA-WIDE CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT - Exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
2 Rust on exhaust of 2017 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Appearance Package Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
blwnsmoke Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 292
B Are the exhaust manifold cracks only on PIU'S ? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
ExPlat Exhaust leaks, Ford Explorers and the environment. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 41
S Link to NHTSA complaint form for exhaust fume smell entering the cabin Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
P Exhaust Manifold Crack Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
J Hazy exhaust at full throttle Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
H 2017 exhaust melts bumper Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
B 2015 Sport suddenly loud upon acceleration....like I got new exhaust, but I didn't Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
S 2017 Explorer Sport Exhaust Orientation - Are they still offset inlet/centre outlet? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
T Exhaust smell from back seat area Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
S Ford 2011-2015 Explorers probed by U.S. on possible exhaust leaks Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
I (update) Exhaust Pipe Rusting Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
I Exhaust Pipe Rusting? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
A Anyone Done Any Exhaust Mods? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
B Anyone have cold air, tune, and exhaust? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
I Anyone else have to have the PTU replaced in the 2013 due to exhaust smell/leak? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
R Broken Exhaust Hanger Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
P Sigh.... broken exhaust hanger just ruined my week Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 32
C exhaust question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
J Gibson Exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
L Explorer Sport 2014 exhaust sound muffled after service Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
N Rust on exhaust, etc. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
L '13 Sport - A lot of Soot in Exhaust Tips Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 34
C Horrible MPG w/ K&N intake and Magnaflow Exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
1 Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2558
L 2016 Explorer Platinum - burning oil smell inside the cabin Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
edwx Does my 2017 Explorer have a cabin air filter? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
J 2017 XLT cabin air filter Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
R How can I prevent cabin lights from turning on every time I turn off engine? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
A Wet Cabin Filter After Car Wash Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
G 2016 Explorer Sport Jerking/Stall Cabin oil smell Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
P Ford Explorer 2012 Noisy AC or Cabin Fan Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R Cabin hum and Steering wheel/column vibration Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1