Confirming Red ST touch up paint color name | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirming Red ST touch up paint color name

Rapid Red

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST Street Pack
So somehow I got a couple of nice chips in the passenger side of my ST. I was told by my dealers parts department that my paint color was Lucid Red so I bought a bottle of the touch up paint yesterday.

I went for it today and after two coats of base (with 30 minutes dry in between) and 1 clear, the colors don’t match at all and I’m wishing I would have left the silver holes alone. The touch up paint is way lighter.

Has anyone else had this problem? I hope I just was given the wrong paint type but the parts guy looked it up based on my VIN.

Anyways this is pretty frustrating to have two light colored spots on the side now. If I indeed have the correct touch up paint I am open for suggestions and tips. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your color code should be inside the door jam on the drivers door. Thats how i got mine and then ordered oem from Amazon.

Your color code should be inside the door jam on the drivers door. Thats how i got mine and then ordered oem from Amazon.
Thanks I shall check that out.

update - so it says “ext pnt” and then“D4”
so is the amazon search simply “2020 Ford Explorer st touch up paint code D4”?

update 2 - on another site I have confirmed that code D4 is indeed Lucid Red Pearl.

May have to let a body shop take it from here because I have the right paint but that’s about all that is going right lol.

It is called Rapid Red on my window sticker. Checked a couple of websites and it came up rapid red on those.

It is called Rapid Red on my window sticker. Checked a couple of websites and it came up rapid red on those.
That’s what mine said too when i bought the vehicle, and that’s what i originally told the parts person when asking for the touch up paint. Can you please send along the websites that showed the touch up paint color called rapid red.

This site lists the touch up color as rapid red magnetic and D4!

I will give it some time and see if it turns any darker after 24 hours. Maybe try a bit more clear. This is going to sadly test my OCD.

This is the exterior color of your vehicle I have the same
RAPID RED MET TINTED CC
Maybe the clear coat that comes with the touch up paint is not tinted like it is from the factory causing a different Hue in the paint.

@Rapid Red

Assembly line paint can have many variations within one specific color.

Thus, in my experience, over the counter pre-mixed paint sticks rarely match. You're finding that out as well.

The best option I've found isn't really talked about. I know about it because I worked at an Auto Body supply store.

Go to a PPG Auto Paint Supply Store (i.e. FinishMaster) and have them match your paint with a PPG "Phrophet" Paint Spectrometer (a free service).

The rep will walk out to the parking lot, place the "camera" (spectrometer) against your paint, and take a picture of it.

The rep will then place the camera in it's cradle, and it will download the paint mixture to a computer and print it out.

They'll mix you up a 1-2 oz container of touch -up your exact paint variation on your Ex for around $25 (maybe $5-6 more than a FORD paint stick).

BTW - PPG supplies FORD with their paint.

HTH -

I think I will have to look into that for sure as the combo I bought is not even close. When I was putting on the base all I could think was wow the clear must make this stuff way darker!

I wonder if I should lightly sand off the first try to make sure I don’t end up with paint bumps as I already have two coats of base and a clear.

I am glad I reached out to the forum before things really got out of hand. Much appreciated! 👍

@Rapid Red

I would STOP and go no further. I definitely wouldn't wouldn't start sanding your $60K ST's paint job...

Ask how to correct what you've done at your local PPG shop - they provide sound advice for free.

The bigger shops have an experienced tech on hand - someone who has worked in the Auto Body industry.

Call around to various PPG Shops, tell them what you did, and ask if they have a tech on their staff that can assist you and when they will be in the shop.

PPG Techs are employed specifically to provide "been there/done that" advice to the shops that they deal with - and help out customers in your situation.

Due to Environmental Regulations, auto paint today is quite different than auto paint of 5 years ago.

HTH -

You won’t get a touch up bottle to look good against new paint. Touch up paint is really about corrosion resistance. Typically, metallics needs to be shaken until you wish you were dead. A lot of the color is suspended solids.

The Order Guide came out with Lucid Red Metallic Clearcoat D4 and then was changed to Rapid Red with the revised Guide on 03/01/2019.

Peter

Thanks Peter - at least I know it was not me!

fast_dave - I am going to cut my losses,and back away from the vehicle now, and call in the pros like you advise. I found a PPG shop in Edmonton based on your suggestion. Thanks again everyone!

The Order Guide came out with Lucid Red Metallic Clearcoat D4 and then was changed to Rapid Red with the revised Guide on 03/01/2019.

Peter
Ps would be nice if Ford educated their parts guys about this update. Oh well growing pains with a new model year I guess.

Pss - the only saving grace to all of this is that I won’t have to change my forum name to Lucid Red. That would not have really done it for me.🤣

I will update this post once I work with the PPG folks to get things fixed.

I suggest you contact Dr. Color Chip and provide them your paint code. They formulate touch up paint that is specific for purpose. They have an applicator and blending solution that works well for touching up chips. Factory paint is meant to be sprayed and clear coated and it is very rare for the small touch up bottles of paint to provide a good looking result. I have used Dr. Color Chip on many vehicles with excellent results.

I suggest you contact Dr. Color Chip and provide them your paint code. They formulate touch up paint that is specific for purpose. They have an applicator and blending solution that works well for touching up chips. Factory paint is meant to be sprayed and clear coated and it is very rare for the small touch up bottles of paint to provide a good looking result. I have used Dr. Color Chip on many vehicles with excellent results.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have created a bit of a mess now so it’s time for me to call in some pros for help.

Pss - the only saving grace to all of this is that I won’t have to change my forum name to Lucid Red...........................
That did cross my mind.:D

Peter

Rapid Red = Lucid Red.. Ford changed the name of it, it's the same exact color.

Rapid Red = Lucid Red.. Ford changed the name of it, it's the same exact color.
Well i did not want anyone calling me Lucy so i did a bit more research on getting rid of the evidence and found this thread on lacquer thinner

I gave it a go just now and it worked perfectly. A little dab of lacquer thinner on an old microfibre towel took it off with no effort and left everything else alone. I then got a wet towel and gave it a good going over.

So I am happy to be at least back to where i was yesterday morning. Going to look into the PPG paint next week. But at least i learned how to fix things if I don’t like that result either. Interestingly i did see Dr Paintchip mentioned in the auto geek thread so will do some research on that too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back