Confused about 4.0 OHV fuel rail gaskets. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confused about 4.0 OHV fuel rail gaskets.

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
I've replaced the fuel rail gasket and orings on my 2000 4.0 OHV before. It was a single thick gasket under the fuel rail and the rubber orings on top. Now I have a 1997 4.0 OHV and when I look up the gaskets at felpro they aren't listed. Autozone shows a Mahle set which consists of two paper? gaskets and the orings. Why is there two different sets? I thought the rail was the same in those years?

The mahle set should also come with the thick spacer/ gasket for under the fuel rail
Often the kits come with both types of gaskets so you can fit 95-00 ohvs but the mahle set should work

You can buy a felpro upper engine set (head gasket) and a lower set (oil pan timing cover) and this will give you all the gaskets you need

Prices way up on this stuff it was $319 for the fel pro sets in town

I just re sealed a 99 ohv last week
Don’t forget to replace the big green egr o ring and if you do head gaskets you will need new head bolts another $60

The mahle set should also come with the thick spacer/ gasket for under the fuel rail
Often the kits come with both types of gaskets so you can fit 95-00 ohvs but the mahle set should work

You can buy a felpro upper engine set (head gasket) and a lower set (oil pan timing cover) and this will give you all the gaskets you need

Prices way up on this stuff it was $319 for the fel pro sets in town

I just re sealed a 99 ohv last week
Don’t forget to replace the big green egr o ring and if you do head gaskets you will need new head bolts another $60
So between 95-00 they actually need different gaskets? I have this... Part Details which was for a 2000 but I would like to use it on my 1997.

I actually think it is 91-94 is one style and the. 95-00 is the other but it has been a long time since I had to work on the early metal intake ones. All I know is I have a ton of extra 4.0 gaskets because the kits always come with more than I need.
I probably pull and re seal and install 5-10 ohvs a year most of them have been 98-00 models lately.

I seem to remember a hard plastic spacer that used to go under the fuel rail and that thing would get a gasket on top and a gasket on bottom. Which maybe why the mahle kit shows two paper intake gaskets

Back