• Register Today It's free!

Confused with shocks..

navajoftw

Reaction score
City, State
McClellandtown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I am in dire need of new shocks all around. The rear ones are shot, leaking oil badly. The front ones are completely rusted and are leaking as well. Time for new ones.

I have done some research on here and various websites reading about the Rs5000 shocks, Monroe Reflex shocks, OME shocks and more, and I am completely CONFUSED.

For the most part, my navajo is stock. I mostly do highway/city driving and some offroading. And by some I mean going up someone's terrible driveway or driving back to a fishing hole. Every once in awhile I will go on some trails to a mountain look out around here. I also don't tow anything and I don't plan on it.

Right now the shocks are stock, so I know no better of a ride then what I am dealing with now, with the rear shimmying over bumps. Absolutely no absorption of bumps, handling like a boat, etc. some of you know how it is.. haha.

So I would like you professionals to tell me what would be the BEST shock I can purchase for what I described I do. Price does not matter.

Well I am not a pro, but I have heard good things about Bilstein shocks, that they give a real nice highway ride, and are decent enough for the offroading you do. I have never used them personally, maybe someone else here has them and can vouch for em. They are a bit pricey, but check on ebay, I see them there from time to time.

I read about those also and found them for sale on truckperformance.com. There was a reply with them giving them a good review.

Back