Considering rear turbo. I have some questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering rear turbo. I have some questions.

I've always wanted to put a turbo in a vehicle. I absolutely love the jet-engine like scream when you put on the gas and I thought it'd be a fun project. There's not much room for a turbo under the hood, so I've been looking into a rear mounted option. I have some questions about it.

How do I find the right size turbo?
Where is a good place to get the tubing?
What tubing material options do I have?
What's the air filter life like for a rear mounted turbo?
Can I use the vehicle on dirt roads?
Can I use the vehicle in rain?
Can I use the vehicle in snow?
Can I get an undercarriage wash at the local drive through car wash?
Can a 5.0 engine and tranny with 120K survive a turbo?
Do headers help at all with a rear mounted turbo (I've read it's better to not have headers)

I have the money, time and mechanical skills to do a job like this, but there's a lot I need to look into before I start. This is for a daily driver I plan to tow with. I'd like to go with a very budget minded (junk yard turbo) build since going low-cost is all part of the fun. :D

I'd probably document it.

Thanks! That's a great place to start.

Check out http://ststurbo.com/home . they built lots of bolt on rear mount systems. i'm sure they could assist you with a kit or atleast a universal turbo kit

Any idea what size of turbo would best fit this application? I have no idea how to size a turbo. I see someone else was using a T04E 57trim for the same application. Why does this turbo work well and what other options might there be?

These turbos seem to be all over ebay for cheap.

Back