• Register Today It's free!

Constant Battery Light

95Explo

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Ok, I was zipping down the highway from work, no AC but the system was blaring as usual. All of sudden the battery light pops on and the needle on the gauge dropped to half of what is was origianlly... at the half hash.

I got worried because I never had the light come on before and I JUST replaced the IAC and it's been running well since then I got the vehicle to cooperate trying to adjust that dreaded set screw that should not have been adjusted at all.

I changed the alternator a looong time ago maybe 4 or 5 years ... and I changed the battery last year sometime.

I checked the battery with a multimeter and it read 12+ with the vehicle on and off.

I read the previous post about maybe the alternator is going bad ... so I loosen the negative terminal ... cranked it up ... and the vehicle cut off.

Before I start buying parts I was wondering if anyone can suggest something else.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with it running at idle check the voltage at the battery terminals,. it should be 14.4 or so

When you replaced your alternator what brand did you use?
I went through 5 autozone reman's (replacements for free) before I bit the bullet and got a new Bosch unit.
the cheap re-mans do NOT LAST

With the vehicle idling ... the multimeter reads 12.47 volts.

With the vehicle idling ... the multimeter reads 12.47 volts.

sounds like there is going to be a new alternator in your future. Depending where you bought it it may have a lifetime warranty.

sounds like there is going to be a new alternator in your future. Depending where you bought it it may have a lifetime warranty.

agreed.
You should definately have over 13 volts anyway.
I get a reading of around 13.4 after I shut the truck off.

Bad news ... I got a remanufactured alternator with 130 amps from Autozone the guy checked it on his machine before I left the store. Today I swapped out the old one and now my truck won't start at all it just clicks rapidly when I turn the key ... I am really clueless now.

sounds like the battery may have just died?
even with a bad alternator, if the battery had a full charge, it would be able to start the vehicle.

Today I swapped out the old one and now my truck won't start at all it just clicks rapidly when I turn the key

Sounds like something with teh battery cables/starter. make sure the connections are clean.

Ok, I'm on my way to get a "new" battery to see what it does.

You guys rock! ... I installed a "new" battery and the Explo is again purring like a kitten ... thanks!

:thumbsup:

I would have first suggested putting a battery charger on it, or jump starting it before going out and buying a new battery.

But hey, as long as it's running again that's all that counts :D

Back