Coolant leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak.

Losing coolant on my ford explorer, no sign of any leaks. Also there is no white smoke

• suggestions

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • corrective action

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnHindson

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a Losing coolant on my ford explorer, no sign of any leaks on white sheet placed under the car for 2 days. I checked all the hoses and did not locate a problem. I still have the original cap on the coolant tank, the seals look good, I thought it might be a head gasket but do not know how to check if this is the issue. I pulled the spark plugs and they were good. Appreciate any advice, Thanks John Hindson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the engine is cold run it without the radiator cap on. If you see bubbles coming up it's probably the head gasket.

I have seen them seep slowly so that puddles are not left and it's very difficult to see the leak. Check the intake manifold, and thermostat housing, those are two areas prone to leaks.

I was losing coolant in a 2013 Taurus; no signs of leaks anywhere, no smells, etc. kept having to top off the degas bottle. Put a new pressure cap on the degas bottle and no more coolant loss.

The new pressure cap was only about $7 so I replaced all the caps on all my vehicles.

When the engine is cold run it without the radiator cap on. If you see bubbles coming up it's probably the head gasket.

I have seen them seep slowly so that puddles are not left and it's very difficult to see the leak. Check the intake manifold, and thermostat housing, those are two areas prone to leaks.
Thanks Rick, I will investigate your suggestions. Thank you.

You might also want to check the heater hoses that go into firewall. If those are original hoses and clamps they might be seeping. One of mine was and while engine running I could see the tiniest bit of coolant escaping. I took the old spring type clamp off and cinched it down with a band type that has a screw to tighten.

Hope it’s that simple but Tech by Trade is most likely correct

You might also want to check the heater hoses that go into firewall. If those are original hoses and clamps they might be seeping. One of mine was and while engine running I could see the tiniest bit of coolant escaping. I took the old spring type clamp off and cinched it down with a band type that has a screw to tighten.

Hope it’s that simple but Tech by Trade is most likely correct
Thank-you, I will check.

Check the cooling system with a cooling system pressure tester.

This is probably the best advice so far. Many leaks will evaporate before they hit the ground. Be sure to remove the expansion tank and upper radiator cover so you can inspect the radiator carefully as you do the pressure test. Be sure to put the tester on cold because the coolant will contract and drop pressure quickly if you install the tester hot. You may have to leave the tester on for a few hours, maybe even overnight. If you have rear heat, don't forget to check the rear heater box.

If you don't find any leaks, it may be the pressure cap seal, or even the expansion tank or hose to the expansion tank.

This is probably the best advice so far. Many leaks will evaporate before they hit the ground. Be sure to remove the expansion tank and upper radiator cover so you can inspect the radiator carefully as you do the pressure test. Be sure to put the tester on cold because the coolant will contract and drop pressure quickly if you install the tester hot. You may have to leave the tester on for a few hours, maybe even overnight. If you have rear heat, don't forget to check the rear heater box.

If you don't find any leaks, it may be the pressure cap seal, or even the expansion tank or hose to the expansion tank.
Thanks Larry. Very much appreciated.

For some reason I was thinking yours was a 2005-10. Your 2002 may be a little different:

-Is the 2002 a pressurized expansion tank? My old 92 Grand Marquis was, and you had to pressure test from the expansion tank.

-You may not need to remove the upper fan shroud to see radiator tank leaks. I believe your radiator is still mounted with the radiator tanks on the side. (The 2005-10, the radiator us mounted sideways so that the tanks are on the top and bottom. Leaks are harder to spot)

But the pressure test is still the best advice, IMHO.

Thanks. You men the housing is cracked or loose?
Either or, they like to crack on the seams, and warp along the o rings. A quick look and you will see white buildup where ever the leak is.

I had a small seepage leak so I went ahead and just used a bottle of Bar's stop leak and have not lost any since. It's only $3.22 at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-s-Leaks-Cooling-System-Stop-Leak/19802791

1196_web.png

Any vehicle we have used that in it has clogged the heater core up, though it has probably been 20 years since we touched the stuff.

I've been using the heat all winter with no problems. I think it all depends on what you use and how much and also the corrosion / pre-clogged state of your heater core.

Now I did put it in in the summer. So it got nice and diluted while the heat was off thus not circulating a concentrated amount though the core...

Thank you and the others for your suggestions. I have tried them all and found nothing loose or leaking. It must be the head gasket, off to the shop on Monday. I appreciate the time in replying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you and the others for your suggestions. I have tried them all and found nothing loose or leaking. It must be the head gasket, off to the shop on Monday. I appreciate the time in replying.

I didn't find anything loose or leaking either. I did however smell it a little after parking in a garage after a long drive.

Back