• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

CRB

Reaction score
City, State
Lake City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
I have a 2011 V6 explorer limited and I have developed a coolant leak on the forward lower part of the motor on the passenger side, it appears to be in the area above the AC compressor. Drips every seven seconds with motor off and it is a thin steady stream with the motor on. Temp light never came on. Is the water pump in this area? No coolant in oil and it doesn't appear to have oil in the radiator. Cylinders and coolant system both pressure check good. It also developed a rough idle, fault codes are for crankshaft and camshaft position sensors sync, replaced both, idle is slightly better but still rough and check engine light came back on. Common sense tells me I have a head problem but the shop says the cylinder pressure is good. It doesn't appear that it jumped timing either. Trying to figure out if coolant leak and rough idle / check engine light are all tied together. Any info would be helpful

did you ever solve this issue? I just dropped mine off at the dealer because it's leaking in a similar way, except it was gushing out with the motor off

See this post for the weep hole location. Questions about our new 2016 Explorer
I suggest that to be safe, check the oil on the dipstick to see if it is contaminated with coolant. If it is, then the water pump needs to be replaced.

Peter

Back