Coolbulbs.com HID Kit Review - Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolbulbs.com HID Kit Review - Explorer Sport

Installed the 6000K HID Headlights yesterday evening. Totally plug and play and super easy. Passenger side harness from the car to the Collbulbs Ballast had to be flipped around (as it did not fire up at all). That was the only hiccup. Works perfectly now. Installed in my garage. I used painters tape to mark off the Halogen light line. The HID light line hit it exactly. Put me down as a happy customer. Going to keep the stock bulbs stored in the truck for a while...just to make sure.

I held off on installing the fog lights. If they are just as bright as the headlights I am concerned they will blind everyone in front of me (as they are not focused in a projector housing) and then the true FOG/Nasty weather functionality may suffer.

I think I am going to leave the stock FOG light for a bit and explore other options. Perhaps LED.

I believe the HID H11 bulbs I got for the fogs will fit my 2013 Honda Accord's low beams. If that is the case, I shall be using them in that application.

Seems easy to get stock bulb out no? Take the rubber cap off..twist and your good? Need to take the other two plugs below it out as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems easy to get stock bulb out no? Take the rubber cap off..twist and your good? Need to take the other two plugs below it out as well?

Very easy to remove. The stock bulb is in there fairly tight so I had to put a little muscle into it. But it only has to turn 1/4 around and it lets go. The only plug that I had to remove was the harness going into the backs of the bulb from the truck. That hook up is on the "inside" of the rubber gasket enclosure. No other wires had to be disconnected.

Installed in 40 min...so easy..had flicker in both during the first start up..but nothing since then.

I started one and turned it on to make sure it worked and with the stock headlight in on the other side...HOLY DIFFERENCE

:Installation Update:

Installed in my 2013 Honda Accord the H11 (6000K 35W) Bulbs I originally purchased for my Explorer Fog Lamps. As it turns out, when I opted to not install the HID Fogs, the H11's were an exact fit for my Accord's Low Beams. Install was a pain as the Honda made the Explorer's Drivers side headlight access look down right spacious.

Ran into an issue on the Honda that I suspect I will see when I drive the Explorer out for the first real night test (not just up against my garage door). Two shadows were present from two feet in front of my bumper to like 10 feet out in the shape of two thin black railroad tracks. Did not really hamper the light output just annoying. A little research was needed and it turns out the electrode on the side of the bulb needs to be in the 6 o'clock position as the Projector housing will invert the light output and cause the shadow on the ground instead of in the sky. Only way the bulb went in, however, was with the electrode in 12 o'clock position (was the same was on the Explorer so I am expecting to see the "tracks" on there too).

The Fix

Closer inspection of the bulb and the tabs that hold it in reveals one of the tabs is wider than the other two (thus limits the slot the bulb can fit into). Out comes my trusty metal shears (the tabs are plastic) and snip. Take a slight amount off each side of the tab. Now I can place the bulb in correctly with the electrode in the 6 o'clock orientation. No more tracks!

Hope this info is useful to anyone that also sees the "Railroad Tracks" with their HID Kits.

I agree that return pin needs to be at 6 o'clock position on the Ex (was the opposite on my previous vehicle)

Back