• Register Today It's free!

Cooling Fan.

O2Thief

Reaction score
City, State
BTR, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
Has anyone ever removed the factory fan & fan clutch to install an electric cooling fan. Perhaps out of a 94+ Mustangs. All that would be needed is two 30 amp relays, a temp switch and possibly a toggle for manual control. Just wanted to know your thoughts. There would also be some improved low end power by this removal. Thanks for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was curious about this also. Flex-Lite (can't remember if thats the right name) makes electric fans for like Chevy's and Fords full-size, some of the trucks use two of them. But I can't find any information on if their available for the Explorer/Mountaineer. The Full-Size trucks get nice gains and better mileage using them, so they would work pretty good an our lighter trucks.

There has been some discussion about these fans befor. I am very interested in one to increase gas mileage.

Any more comments?

Do you ever have overheating difficulties?

Any trouble with them?

Thanks....

What fuel mileage gains do you guys think is possible with an electric fan?

I thought Rick put one on before and it wasn't enough to cool it in the Arizona heat at least.

I'm going to try and locate a 94+ Mustang fan w/ shroud to transpant into the Explorer. In addition to wiring up the relays, I will also have to put a trip wire for when the A/C compressor engages. It shouldn't be too difficult as I did this on my previous 85 SVO. I will also have to pull the temp sensor from the 94+ GT 5.0 and perhaps the coolant lines (if they are a direct replacement). Also, has anyone put on underdrive pulley's?

Originally posted by aldive
What fuel mileage gains do you guys think is possible with an electric fan?
I dunno... why not go look where you already posted...

Dead Link Removed

And for anyone else... search

:rolleyes:

Here is my post in another thread about what I did with my 18" Perma Cool fan.

I removed the fan close to a month ago. In temps higher than 85 it overheats. The fan on blows less air than the stock fan at idle. This fan is good for a small block V6 or a 4 cyl.

It worked really well in the spring months when it was install because temps were around 70 most of the time. Once the heat arrived and I used A/C it always overheated.

Through experience I have found that engine mods usually don't pay off.

Oh ya, no mpg increase.

I don't recommend the fan if you live where the temp rises above 80 and/or you use A/C.

Also, vehicles with factory elec. fans do well because they have been designed for the vehicle.

Back