correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

Check the fuel pressure when you have a lean code also, the pressure needs to be about 62psi for a 99+ Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, what do you thing about timing set from Advanced auto parts. Is it good or bad? . Is it better to get it from ford or it does not metter.??

I don't know anything about the Advanced parts, I just ordered the 00M12 kit - $48.39 + shipping from Tasca Ford in Cranston RI. The Ford part # for the kit is YL2Z-9E473-AA. While researching the part #, since the parts guy said "00M12, What's that?" I came across an image that shows various timing parts and their approximate locations along with their part #'s. I couldn't paste the image but I googled "Ford parts 00M12" and the fourth result down was this : USAllparts.com - Ford [00M12] Timing-Chain Tensioner Service Kit ... Accessories & General Parts ... FO-EX245MFIE-00M12 Print product data
I think it's a european website so it's not the place to get the parts unless you're there, but the image is good. Someone more computer savvy could do it I'm sure.

hey guys! i just installed a junkyard motor myself in my 98 explorer and unfortunately enough it makes the death rattle:( but only at idle hot and cold. what are the chances of this being from the primary chain and not from one of the cam chains? i really dont want to remove this engine again.............

Got my parts today. The extra crush washer that I purchased for the rear tensioner looks identical to the one in the 00M12 kit for the front. VERY thin aluminum with what looks like a black coating. Not your average crush washer.

Does the rear tensioner operate on both spring tension and hydraulics? It seems to have an oil hole near the top, just like the front one. If so, would it be wise to pre-fill and work the tensioner prior to installation? It seems recently I've read more than one account of severe chain guide issues on first startup after replacing the exterior tensioners. Definitely want to avoid that!!!

BK

Replaced the rear tensioner today. The existing crush washer was a standard thick copper affair. I put on the "new" thin aluminum one with the new part.

The tensioner is hydraulic. I primed it by filling the hole with engine oil and operating the piston, refilling, etc.. Figured it couldn't hurt at startup.

Just for kicks, I measured the spring tension on the old and new units by pressing the tensioners against a digital bathroom scale. The old unit measured 17.5lbs and the new 21.5lbs. Felt the same by the finger pressure test. My old one has about 75k miles on it and it was replaced as part of a recall about 2000. The weaker spring could be due to age, design or simply variance.

First start will happen tomorrrow....keeping fingers crossed....

*edit* Fired it up and it's working great! No leaks and no startup noises. Remember that this was simply a 75k preventive maintenance swap, although I had started to notice some rear chain slap noise at idle once in a while. Prior to the initial startup I removed the coilpack connector + fuel pump relay and cranked it for two separate 15sec periods in order to build oil pressure. The idea was to fully prime the tensioner in an effort to minimize the possibility of damaging the old/brittle chain guides on first startup.

BK

having some rough idle feels almost like a misfire got a 152,000 mile 2001 sport went on a 8hr trip coulpe weeks ago i also have that death rattle for quite some time now a year or so not much of a mechanic how much would it cost through the dealers 2 replace tensioners

Hey guys, I've posted on here several times about the death rattle since mine is making it at cold start and above ~2,600 RPMs. So it seems that just the parts will run around a couple hundred bucks at most. The dealership and some small shops have quoted around $1,500-$2,000 for tensioner/guide replacements. My only concern is that the timing set to time the shafts is around $400. What is my cheapest way to solve this issue...?

I'm just afraid that taking the intake off and replacing the tensioners won't be a fix since it's making the noise at higher RPMs. I appreciate any help since I'm very limited on funds and can only do so much in an apartment parking lot.

Thanks in advance. (Plus if I save enough maybe I can finally upgrade to Elite!)

Front and rear cassette guides

Are the guides for the front and rear cassettes available separately over there? here in the UK i can only buy the whole cassettes and in the engine i am gonna be doing the chains and sprockets are fine.
Also which suppliers have you guys used to get the ford guides and rate them ta
Thanks guys

The cassette kits were right at $60 each back in 2005, that's the way to buy them.

Try TascaFord.com with the part numbers, they are very reasonable.

The cassette kits were right at $60 each back in 2005, that's the way to buy them.

Try TascaFord.com with the part numbers, they are very reasonable.

Thanks

Let us know if you find a place that does shipping internationally. Other members could use the source to help them in the future. Regards,

Eng-TimingChain-ComponentsLocations1.gif

That is the image Rudy602 was referring to.

I am on the hunt for timing parts to completely fix up my SOHC. I want to replace as much as I can when I am in there since I only want to pull the motor once.

I had already found that USAllparts site but i had read of peeps just replacing the guides for the cam chain so i just wondered if they were available seperately over there. Looks like i will be replacing (or buying at least) the whole cassette.

Don,

That link doesn't lead to any parts. Do you have the part numbers for the cassettes?

Does anyone have the part numbers for the front and rear jackshaft sprocket bolts as well as crankshaft bolt? I believe these need to be replaced when servicing the engine.

I am also looking for the seals that go on the bolt heads for two bolts in the upper oil pan. I may pull the upper pan as well and the manual says to replace the seals.

Thanks Dale. I tried to make the link for Tasca with the parts, but there site doesn't do that. It comes back with a part error page, so I only link to the Home page where you'd add part #'s.

I used the part numbers from the picture above, they were still good.

Tascaparts.com

I know these guys are not supported vendors but so far i am impressed.
OE Part No.: XU3Z6K254BA / 7U3Z-6K254-A Rear tensioner
Recall / Service Kit # 00M12 / OE Part No.: YL2Z-9E473-AA
OE Part No.: 4L2Z6M290AA Right hand cam casstte
OE Part No.: 1L2Z6L266AA Balance shaft chain tensioner
OE Part No.: 7U3Z6A257A Left hand cam cassette
OE Part No.: YL2Z6L266AA Jack to crank chain tesioner
OE Part No.: 2L2Z6K297AA jack shaft to crank guide
OE Part No.: F77Z6710AA Upper sump gasket
Total cost for these parts is $288 and no problem with shipping to the UK

Gonna tear into the motor this weekend and see what i need. The left valve cover has had a weld on it at the front so i'm assuming at some point the front chains have been worked on so i may not need all the front stuff just some, prob the balance shaft guide/tensioner and maybe the jack chain tensioner. We'll see.

Don,

That link doesn't lead to any parts. Do you have the part numbers for the cassettes?

Does anyone have the part numbers for the front and rear jackshaft sprocket bolts as well as crankshaft bolt? I believe these need to be replaced when servicing the engine.

I am also looking for the seals that go on the bolt heads for two bolts in the upper oil pan. I may pull the upper pan as well and the manual says to replace the seals.

I forgot to check the pulley bolt number and i can't find the part number for the jackshaft bolts.

The upper pan washer seal is 97JM 6734 AB sold in singles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back