Correct set of wheel Bearings? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Correct set of wheel Bearings?

Your original post mentions you have manual, hubs, so there won’t be any key way or magnets to deal with. The manual hub is much simpler to remove and put back on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent link! Thank you @RangerX sadly it doesn't seem like some of the links that would be handy for me work.. Yes, I do have manual hubs which means I don't have that locking key? That's great news! So all I should need is the spindle nut socket? 2 3/8 inch if I am correct. I figured there might of been a slight difference but nothing extreme.

@RangerX I read your comment on a post that was made a few years ago about the torques. I believe you said 35 foot pounds on the inner nut, back off 1/4th, tighten 16 inch pounds. Put on washer and tighten outer nut to 150 foot pounds. But I've read some people like to tighten it up to 250 foot pounds (!). Is there any benifit to tightening it that much over spec?

Higher torque helps keep the lock rings from loosening if you run large tires. Stock or near stock size tires just need 150.

Got it. Any idea which spindle socket i need? I'm having trouble figuring out if it's the 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 4 prong one..

5B868452-6AA8-4C91-8269-A14B8CB031EB.jpeg
This one. That lip around the prongs makes all the difference. Not sure on the measurement, but I bet it’s the larger. I bet the smaller size is for a D28, you need for D 35.

So I just got done with the wheel bearing job. Super easy by the way. I was expecting a lot more issues. Thank you for everyone who commented on this post to help me. I followed everything exactly but I noticed as I was tightening the outer spindle the inner one would move a little until the washer in-between caught on the axle but it seems like even that little movement tightened up the new rotor quite a bite. Is there a break in period or do I need to redo the spindles? I can move the rotor but it's not gliding if you know what I mean.

So I just don't done with the wheel bearing job. Super easy by the way. I was expecting a lot more issues. Thank you for everyone who commented on this post to help me. I followed everything exactly but I noticed as I was tightening the outer spindle the inner one would move a little until the washer in-between caught on the axle but it seems like even that little movement tightened up the new rotor quite a bite. Is there a break in period or do I need to redo the spindles? I can move the rotor but it's not gliding if you know what I mean.

I wonder if there is a spec for this like there is for pinion crush sleeve or crank rotation for main bearings?

Back