Looking for New set of wheels and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for New set of wheels and tires

Hi I am looking for a new set of wheels and tires on my 01 sport. I want to go to 31s and decently wide. I would like the tires to be a aggressive tread mud-terrain tire. My goal here is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP because I don't have an over-abundance of money by any means. I would get new tires and stick them on my current wheels but nothing big enough goes on 15 inch rims. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cheap mud-terrain to go with a good, cheap 16 inch rim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure of the conversions here... does __x10.5x15=__x75x15?
I know one is LT measurements and one is P measurements but I'm still learning all the quirks of tire buying... sorry for my newness :/
Is going from 235 to 31 going to be a huge difference or hardly noticeable?

Tires are kind of an odd thing, with multiple sizing systems-

a 31 x 10.50 x 15 is exactly that 31 tall 10.5 wide for a 15 inch wheel. Some tires are sized this way, especially 15's

The metric system is similar, but a little more complicated

A 275 / 75 R 16 is 275 mm wide, the sidewall height is 75% of 275 mm, and it is made for a 16" rim.

Check this link out to help explain it-

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoReadingSidewall.jsp

To answer your question about sizes and "difference" check out this calculator-

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMathNS.jsp

get some rock crawler rims...maybe 55 a shot and some trxus mts...you wont be disapointed...

Do you mean you have stock 16" rims? You can find a ton of sizes to fit 15" rims, I am thinking maybe you have 16" rims since that's what my 01 sport had?

-Rich

Good catch, I didn't see that. Id bet they are 16" on an 01.

In that case you need some 265 / 70 or 75 R 16's. The 265/75's are really close to 32". The 70's are a little shorter about 31" and are somewhat less available. 265's are a very common tire size.

No they are 15, I promise. 16 was an optional size, I ended up with 15.

"A 31 x 10.5 x 15 will be fine on your stock wheels."
Thats what I needed to know! Thanks bunches! Kuhmo Road Venture MT KL71 or the Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers are on my wish list! Any opinions between those two?

Yes they should, but you buy the set you wont need your wheels. Shipping would be expensive from IL to GA. I would think that for $400, if you really shopped in your area, you should be able to get 31's. I know a guy in Bham that will do them for around that price. He usually sells Wild Country but will do AT's and Dunlops. 205-655-7388.

I think I am going for the Kuhmos. Hopefully that tread on the side won't end up looking weird. From TireRack it looks like $513 shipped. I guess I better hop on that winter job. I'm still nervous 31x10.5x15 won't fit my rims for some reason. I'm not surprised, I stay nervous about that kind of stuff until I have it and it fits.
By the way my friends keep *****ing at me that 31s wont fit on my car even though i have TT and shackles. They say the rubbing will be way too hardcore. They say in a flex and also with a hard turn the rubbing will be unbearable.
I also noticed the Kuhmo Road Venture MT 834 in 30x9.5x15... would this be a better size to reduce rubbing or am I beginning to get too small? Would it fit my stock wheels too? Should I just f&%k it and stick with 31s?

Your friends must drive J**Ps. I ran 31x10.5x15 on a 7" wide wheel with the same back space & offset as the stock wheels for two years with no lift and I NEVER had a rubbing issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just made my day man. 31s it is I guess, until me or my friends come up with a different issue.
And yes, they both drive jeeps.

How did I know:rolleyes:

Ask them why are their Jeeps are so good when they rob Explorers for the 8.8rear ends and can't fit anything larger than a 235/75 on a Cherokee with out a lift:D :D

Back