CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications.

94 4 Door SAS and More - CoryL

My new winter project.

I'm starting with a 94 4 Door with a 4.0. It had a D35 and 8.8" (obviously), A4LD, and a 1354.

The only thing in there that is staying is the motor. :cool:

The tranny is going to be a C5 followed up by a 4.3:1 Atlas 2.

The suspension is going to change too. Out with the TTB and in with a solid axle.

HP D60 front and a full floating D60 rear. Both have 5.13s and Detroits in them.

I am going to see how much lift the stock leaf springs give me with a SOA setup.

Up front will reside a 5 link setup with S-A-W coilovers.

Going to hack most of the front fenders away, relocate anything on the inner fenders and remove the inner fenders. Going to hack quite a bit in the rear, probably remove the seats and put the larger rear seat in the middle and use some drag race tubs to cover the hole I will leave.

It will be rolling on 38x14.5x16.5 TSL SXs mounted on Hummer Beadlocks (If my line on them stays open).

Look for pics to come soon as I get the Sploder in my garage this Friday!!!

My current wheeling rig has to go though. 87 Bronco II. Its listed in the For Sale Section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, its easy.

Remove current tranny, remove current flexplate, retain flexplate spacer, bolt on C5 flexplate, bolt on C5 TQ converter, bolt up C5.

I am going to have to run a longer tranny fluid line to the front as the C5 has the input and outputs spaced further apart than the A4LD did.

You will also need to move your tranny crossmember forward about 3"-4". This means new driveshafts. I need new ones anyhow, so its not an issue.

Also you will need to use a B&M shifter or the like. I am going to use a B&M Quicksilver shifter. The stock linkage is way too long and it looks like a custom bracket would need to be made.

Currently I am running into problems with the fact that I have 3 things needing to go to the space just after the body mount under your feet. I need a bracket for the suspension, the tranny crossmember, and the attachment point for the cage. So I'm not sure what is going to happen there yet. Until I get that worked out, the Atlas 2 can't go in. It also looks like I am going to have to move some of the floorboard out of the way to clear the Atlas as well.

I did get the seats mounted today however. My page is updated with the latest pics too.

CoryL's Explorer Page

seats2.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

GOOOO! Man Cory, every time I see pics, it's lookin better and better, as well as makes me more jealous!
Keep it up, hopefully you can make the late march attica run, and we can see what it can do :)
Pete

What about the bell housing for the c-5? Did it bolt right up to the 4.0L? Anyway, looking real good. What kind of seats are those and do they sit higher than the stock ones or is it just an optical illusion?

Originally posted by Diff Whack Daddy
What about the bell housing for the c-5? Did it bolt right up to the 4.0L? Anyway, looking real good. What kind of seats are those and do they sit higher than the stock ones or is it just an optical illusion?

The C5 was a factory transmission for 84-85 Ranger's and Bronco IIs wit hteh 2.8L. As we all know, the Cologne family motors (2.8L, 2.9L, and 4.0L) all share the same tranny-to-engine bolt pattern. This means the C5 bolts right up.

Those are Jamex seats. They do sit higher than factory.

CORYN hAS ANYONE GUESS FROM WHAT MOVIE THAT QUOTE IS FROM?

RONIN;)

very nice

Man Cory, that sploder is looking GREAT! i wish i could do that to mine, dont have the money or the skills, good luck and want to see more pics damnit

Slow!!!!

I've got the "new" D60 rear to solve the problems I encountered. So I can get the 5.13s and Detroit swapped from the one housing to the other. Then I can bolt the discs and stuff on and be done with the rear axle.

I also started in on the front clip. I have the main hoop bent and welded to the interior cage through the firewall. I just have to weld in some down supports and when I get the front end ready to go and get the coilovers I can fab the upper mounts. Then I can build the bumper, winch mount, etc. etc.

Still trying to figure out my tranny crossmember issue with the suspension pickup points and the cage-to-frame tie in point. Until then I cannot put the t-case on or setup the rear axle.

Speaking of the rear axle...

Looks like I am dropping the factory tank and going with a fuel cell. Doing this so I can run a 1/4 elliptical rear suspension. All this depends on the tranny x-member however.

So until then all I can really do is get the interior cage finished up and build the front clip.

My computer is down at home so I have no way to upload new photos or visit the boards regularly. That is the latest update however.

If you see this gimme a call I got a New Cell I am not going to use at this point and I would be willing to part with fairly inexspensive......;)

Or I will try and call ya later :rolleyes:

Originally posted by CoryL
Looks like I am dropping the factory tank and going with a fuel cell. Doing this so I can run a 1/4 elliptical rear suspension. All this depends on the tranny x-member however.

Hmm, I was thinking of going with a quarter elliptic in the rear. This can't be done without swapping out the factory tank?

Originally posted by Mudd*****

Hmm, I was thinking of going with a quarter elliptic in the rear. This can't be done without swapping out the factory tank?

You probably could, but this will just make it easier.

I got the die so I can cut down the stock t-case bolts and reuse them in the Atlas 2.

Also picked up the pinion nut socket for the D60 so I can swap the gears from the crappy 60 rear with the 5.13s and Detroit to the good 60 rear with the proper spindles for the disc conversion.

So by Friday the t-case will be installed. Then this weekend I can get to either finishing off the cage or starting to setup the rear suspension.

Things are getting closer to done!!!!

More pics will come once I get my personal computer at home functioning again.

Got the 5.13s and Detroit swapped to the "good" D60 rear with the disc conversion on it. So now I have a complete rear axle.

Friday or this weekend the t-case goes in. Then the rear suspension.

Getting there!!!!:bounce:

The Atlas 2 is in!!!! Only took about an hour to get it in. Shifters are installed as well! They took a little longer because we had to cut the floorboard and setting them up is quite a process. But it's in!

This means I can get the rear suspension setup now because I can set my pinion angle.

Pics will come soon once I get my computer at home back online.

Fawker! Must be nice buildin up that nice big rig now! Gimme a few years! :p
Keep up the good work Cory!
Pete

Hey cory, i haven't talked o ya in a while, whats been up? Hey man i just got back from New Orleans on monday, so i'm back in town. is it aiight if i roll through this weekend? lemme know i'll give ya a call

Been sporadic with my computer use.

Still waiting on the part to fix my computer. Then I can upload some pics.

Got the radiator mounted today. Also got some various brackets and such removed.

Started to setup the 1/4 elliptical rear, but it is a two person job and Q wasn't around today. Probably get it done this weekend.

wow

I used to check out your ranger all the time over on rrorc and drool at your camburg beams. Now all this? Prerunning to rock crawling! Gotta love it.

Anyways, i highly admire your skills and i wish ya the best of luck.

Lastly, WE WANT TEH PICS!

Thanks for the compliments. I loved that truck. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

Once I get my normal computer running again I will be able to post current pics. You'll know when its back online. :D

Until then, all I can do is report on it's current status.

Originally posted by CoryL
Thanks for the compliments. I loved that truck. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

I could make that wish come true ;)

Back