CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications.

94 4 Door SAS and More - CoryL

My new winter project.

I'm starting with a 94 4 Door with a 4.0. It had a D35 and 8.8" (obviously), A4LD, and a 1354.

The only thing in there that is staying is the motor. :cool:

The tranny is going to be a C5 followed up by a 4.3:1 Atlas 2.

The suspension is going to change too. Out with the TTB and in with a solid axle.

HP D60 front and a full floating D60 rear. Both have 5.13s and Detroits in them.

I am going to see how much lift the stock leaf springs give me with a SOA setup.

Up front will reside a 5 link setup with S-A-W coilovers.

Going to hack most of the front fenders away, relocate anything on the inner fenders and remove the inner fenders. Going to hack quite a bit in the rear, probably remove the seats and put the larger rear seat in the middle and use some drag race tubs to cover the hole I will leave.

It will be rolling on 38x14.5x16.5 TSL SXs mounted on Hummer Beadlocks (If my line on them stays open).

Look for pics to come soon as I get the Sploder in my garage this Friday!!!

My current wheeling rig has to go though. 87 Bronco II. Its listed in the For Sale Section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey CoryL whats up? hey i see you alot on the onandoffroad forums and i didn't know you got an explorer now! Hey i wanna see this one see how its gonna come along, i have talked to Q about wheeling sometimes too btu now that it is winter time and i am still rollin on 31's i need bigger tires first. hey get in touch with me man

Some pics...

Atlas5.jpg

60front.jpg

60rear.jpg

Splode2.jpg

Splode3.jpg

Damn, Cory. The proof is in the picures!!!! You ain't blowin smoke!
I love the twin 60's, but I really wanna see lots of pics of the hacking and tubbing, please!

Doors are all off. Rear hatch is off. Rear glass panels are out. Interior is completely out with the exception of the dash.

38.5x14.5x16.5s are also here!

38s.jpg

drless1.jpg

drless2.jpg

drless3.jpg

Wow! Sounds like one bad a** Xplorer. Must be REALLY expensive though.

So did you buy it as a wrecked Explorer or was it your Old Daily Driver.
It looks like it had been Wreck before cause the radiator Support look like mine. I was thinking of buying a Wrecked X to Fix up later on.

It was a damaged truck a buddy of mine found at a junkyard.

It was hit passenger side and tweaked the frame and rad core support/inner steel fender. Doesn't matter cause its coming off!!!

i wanna see a pic of the 38.5" mounted on the HUMMER beadlocks.

you should custom fabricate the suspension to be a direct copy of a HUMMER suspension & Drivetrain. then run CTIS and that would be INSANE!

i cant wait to see this thing done

I'll pass on copying the Hummer's suspension design. It sucks for anything but mud/sand/snow and basic trails. IFS is not what you want to rockcrawl with.

I'll stick with the dual solid axles. :D

I'll keep posting pics as progress is made.

How do you expect the 4.0 to handle those big ass axles? Im still debating whether or not to go with the d60 or a 9inch in the rear to match the d44 i'm putting in. I'm keeping both fullsize.

arsoul....
With 5.13 gears and Detroits I don't think he is going to have a problem with what he intends to do with it..;)

Huge myth is that more power is needed. My 4.0L will remain stock or near stock.

GEARS, GEARS, GEARS!!!!

With the Auto, 4.3:1 Atlas and 5.13s I will have MORE than enough from the 4.0L to move around.

Are you keeping the axles fullsize or are you cutting them down?

He's keeping them full length

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definately full width.

I've got the set of Hummer beadlocks which have 7.5" of backspacing that I will test with.

Basically it's like this.

When I ordered the tires I needed a set of 16.5" wheels anyhow to mount some crappy small tires on to be able to get it into and out of my garage, so I have 4Wheel Parts order me a set of 16.5x9.75" Black Rockcrawlers and they were offering free mounting and balancing so I had them do that as well. They've got a standard 3.5" BS or something like that.

Going to try them on the trail first and see how they work. If I don't like the width I will go to the Hummer beadlock and use the rockcrawlers for the crappy tires.

If I find I am too narrow then I will go to a true beadlock like a Trailready with around 4-5" of BS.

Either way I need custom steering arms for the kingpins and will have them setup for the Hummer rim offset so I can use them no matter what.

Back