Cost for Warn Manual Hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost for Warn Manual Hubs

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Hey folks....

I just ordered Warn manual hubs from Wrenchead.com for my ride....

When I printed out the order confirmation, the description is "4WD Hub"........you notice hub is singular......

The part description on the site says "set" though....

Aren't these things sold as sets? I got part # 29071 and #27997 (conversion kit)........

The price was $186 for everything.........does this sound right? I am hoping I didnt order just one hub! :)

The next step is to see how difficult these things are to install and then use!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To change the hubs took me about a hour after I was able to sit down look at it. Go to the Explorer tips on the site...there is an in-depth set of instructions for the change.

O ya.....you did order a set

:)

I searched all over carparts.com but couldnt find the hubs for the Explorer....just other part numbers........

I would like to save the $40 if possible.......

Do you recall where you saw them on their site?

Getting the hubs from Carparts

You have to call their number and order them over the phone. They do not have a listing for them on their website. To get them for $140 you have to have the coupon code for 1/3 off. I don't happen to have it so ask around and you will find the code number.

brian 1

whow woud you contact to get the coupon code?????

I would use it quick though cause it ends 8\31\2000

amazed

you will be amazed at how easy it is to install your new hubs. some one told me when i questioned it, " if you can change a tire and grease a wheel bearing you can change a hub." very true very easy to do. you need the right spindle nut for it though its a 4 tooth socket deal don't know the size though. thats about right on the price as long as they do send you a SET of hubs.
good luck and you will like them alot better.
don't forget about the life time waranty either ive used mine already.

OT: coupon codes

Any body have coupon codes for Wrenchead.com?

While it does help to have the right size socket, it's not a must to have. After I tried and tried(two stores then I quit) to find a socket to remove the locking nut I just improvised a bit. Just take a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap on the locking hub till it starts to loosen up enough to thread off by hand. To put the new ones back on I did the same thing, but I put a rag over the new ones to protect the abit. No problems damaging the old ones or the new ones. I just did a check on my truck last week, after 2 trails and 5,000 miles, no problems.

Dead Link Removed

HEY LEE!

Hey...your truck's description says front and rear tow hooks...

Is your truck stock height? If so, how/where did you mount yours......you have any pics of them?

Thanks in advance!

hubs are on!

By the way....I got my manual hubs today and put them on in about 15 minutes/side, plus time that I wasted goofin around.......I bought the 4-tab socket just to be safe (plus, you can never have too many tools!).......

Tested them out and they work great so far!

I feel much better for my upcoming beach trip!

da beach!

Hey Zave...are you the guy going to the Outer Banks that asked about the auto 4x4? If so...where exactly r u going? Just curious...I grew up in Cape Hatteras.

thats me

Yep....that's me...

We are staying in a rental house in the 4x4 area above Corolla....

Can't wait!

I went ahead and did the hub conversion.......rather be safe than worry about getting new hubs down THERE if I blow out the autos........

First words from my wife was "OOOOO! Why did you get MANUALS!?".............

I guess she doesnt like the fact that ya gotta jump out to lockem in.....

Must more reliable, though.............

Plus I 'll get some much needed excercise! :)

I hope I'm not too late to answer the question.....My truck is a stocker for now. On the tow hooks question, I just put the rear ones on the slot just outside of the holes for the trailer hitch would go and put a quick weld to hold them in place and I'm off. I can still put on a hitch if I needed to and keep my hooks. On the front I have a it welded onto the frame just in front of the sway-bars. Both of held up great and I've only had one problem with them. Lets just say when you're towing somebody, make sure they know what they're doing. I was towing and started to come to a stop, he though he was going to hit me so he slamed on his breaks and started to slide sideways. I had the strap on both of my rear hooks and it was enough force to break the weld and the bolt of the one farthest away from him. Tuff luck but boo hoo. I'm trying to think of a way though that I can put shackles on the bumpers like you see on the j:fire::fire:ps or other 4x4's. If I think of something I'll let you know.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

part # for carparts .com

anybody have the part # for carparts .com for the manual hubs

tow hook

I bolted a tow hook on today.....put it on the bumper trailer tongue, facing up......That part of the bumper claims it'll do 3500 lbs..........so, I figure that that should be enough for most stucks.....

ALthough it may not be strong enough if I were REALLY oh-my-gawd-kinda-stuck!

It looks kinda kool too..........

I'm sure I'll get stuck at least once on my upcoming trip......I'll let you know how it performs!

Now I just gotta figure out what to do for the front......

The grill guard aint nearly strong enough to mount a hook to it......... :-(

I've almost got a game plan mapped out for some shackle mounts for the front. I'm trying to do as little to the stock bumper as possible but it looks like I might need to do some cutting of it. I'm thinking that a piece of steel welded to the frame by the bolts in the bumper would be strong enough to hold a tow. I'm trying to find a way to extend the piece to the front of the bumper without cutting the bumper, but it looks like I may half to get out the old torch. I'll then weld another piece to the steel that would be able to hold the shackle. That way you'd have a tow point in the front as well as the cool looks the shackles give you.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Okay... im dumb. Whats a hub? And whats it do? And why change them?

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HUBS

flyguy, all those trucks by your name and ya don't know what hubs are? Just giving you $h1t man! Hubs are the devices which lock the front wheels into 4wd. When the 4wd engages on a auto-4wd a solenoid(I think) is activated and the hubs lock the front wheels. They reason some of us (not me...yet)change the hubs to manual hubs is because manuals are MUCH more reliable, and cheaper to replace! The manuals hubs are a MUST for a SERIOUS off roader. If you ever have to replace your auto-hubs, it will be much cheaper to fix. The only difference is the strength/reliablility and you have to get out an "lock" the front hubs by turning the center of the hub. It's easy, ya just have to get out of your ride to go in 4wd!

Back